Bullet Preference for Savage 111

memtb

Sadly, it’s not quite that easy, though with today’s factory ammo.....all would be probably be satisfactory from a pure accuracy standpoint.....unless you have very high expectations! Each firearm has it’s own personality......likes/dislikes. If the firearm is to be used for hunting, pick your top 2 or 3 preferred Bullets and see if the perform to your expectations! Conversely, if to be used for target/steel shooting, choose a few bullets better suited for that type of use! memtb

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yes sir, I understand that each firearm has it's own personality, but there are often similarities as well.
I'm just looking for a starting point before we go buy 1 box of every type ammo manufactured :-(
I'm just wondering if anyone with a Savage has a particular bullet that shoots well in their rifle?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What cartridge? On a wild guess I'll say a 7mm0-08, am I close?

I would start with some Federal Fusions in 140 grains for that cartridge.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
My son's is an older Savage that was handed down to him from a grandparent. It was made sometime in the 1980's, that's when they bought it new. Really nice wood stock, smooth bolt, just a well put together rifle. You know, back when quality was number one regardless of price.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most new rifles are actually better shooters right out of the box than older ones were. You can thank modern machinery and fit for that.

My Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 shot a sub moa group with its first 3 shots and factory Hornady ammo. Now with reloads it shoots even better.

It took quite a bit of experimenting back in the 70's when I bought my 7mm Rem mag before it got down to that sub moa grouping

Reactions: Bonecollector