Broadhead Test

DryFlyGuy

Feb 21, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
Nate,

With it being March Madness and all, why don't you hold a tournament? By that, I mean pick out several criteria with a weighted scale. Seed one side of the bracket with fixed blades and the other side with mechanicals. Run the broadheads through a first round of tests and advance half the field to the next tests. So on and so forth until you have a championship between fixed and mechanicals.

Ok, I've just melded my Sportscenter addiction with my Redneck TV addiction and posted it on an internet forum. My wife would be so proud.

307Wapiti

Mar 11, 2011
Wyoming
I took my first archery elk last year with G5 T3 broadheads. I drew a great Wyoming elk tag and was nervous hearing about failures in the field from failures with mechanicals. After rifle hunting all my life I could not believe the blood trail from those broadheads. I didn't make a great shot and had to track the bull about a 1/4 mile, but you could tell everytime he stopped it looked like Friday the 13th. For all the advantages of a mechanical, and my personal experience, I can't see hunting with a fixed broadhead.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Wac'em Exits work well. They do exactly as they are named, no checkin in just checkin out. But Brittle.
Nate,
How about aftershockarchery.com their line up has some nice ones. I personally use the Maniacs.

I like the idea of Dryflyguy. Use the hooter shooter and weed out the ones that just dont perform.
No tuning allowed on the head, only right out of the box performance!!!!

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
THEBUGLER,
I shot a bear with magnus stingers 125 gr. and did not go 30 yards awsome broadhead but could not get them to fly through a different bow and forgot about them. Stingers are close to buzzcut same general design.

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Nate,
I would like to see how a some the higher end nock off cabelas or bass pro brands compare to their more expensive competitors. Especially the Cabelas FX-3's compared to the Muzzy's in similar style.

T43

Nate,
I would like to see how a some the higher end nock off cabelas or bass pro brands compare to their more expensive competitors. Especially the Cabelas FX-3's compared to the Muzzy's in similar style.
+1 I just started bow hunting and it would be nice to see how some of the budget stuff compares. My wife is starting to add up stuff in her head and I know I'm reaching the boiling point so a less expensive product that performs well would rank higher on my list than an expensive product that performs great.

SDHNTR

Apr 13, 2011
I've also found the VPA Terminator to be the ultimate broadhead. You can't argue with a 3 blade cut on contact design, and VPA makes them CNC machined from solid steel. Its the toughest head I've ever tested, but I'd like to see your results too.

idahodawg

Apr 15, 2011
I have also noticed that noise when shooting them, but I mic'd up a camera down range and couldn't tell much difference when compared to field points while being on the "receiving" end.
I've done this as well. I set up a video camera downrange and shot right over the top of it. I couldn't tell the difference between field points, Rage, Montec, and Tekan IIs. It seems the vanes make the majority of the noise.