Bow tuning higher elevation?

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Hey All,
Question. When I go from Dallas TX to Fraser CO. Am I going to see a shot difference in my bow? Will I have to recalibrate by pin gaps on my React ONE sight?

Thanks,
ArcherAnthony

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
That's a good question. If you arnt shooting at very far distances, you shouldn't see much of a difference. I would bring a portable target with you tho and double check. I come from 600ft to 11000ft sometimes, and I havnt seen much difference at 50 yards.

Reactions: archeranthony

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
You will find a bunch of answers on this......in the end, you dont need to do anything but recheck it at camp.
If you want to really geek out about it Randy Ulmer ran some math and produced a pretty indepth artilcle on it that proves you need to actually lighten up the draw weight a little when climbing up in altitude to keep POI the same. Like a 1/2 quarter turn for 1 -2 lbs less. If I remember his wording correctly.
I go from 8500 at the house down to a 6000 to shoot a 3D range, back up to 8500 and up to 11,800 at camp with no adjustment needed on my Hog Father single pin.

Id be interested in Dan Ps thoughts on this.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
You will find a bunch of answers on this......in the end, you dont need to do anything but recheck it at camp.
If you want to really geek out about it Randy Ulmer ran some math and produced a pretty indepth artilcle on it that proves you need to actually lighten up the draw weight a little when climbing up in altitude to keep POI the same. Like a 1/2 quarter turn for 1 -2 lbs less. If I remember his wording correctly.
I go from 8500 at the house down to a 6000 to shoot a 3D range, back up to 8500 and up to 11,800 at camp with no adjustment needed on my Hog Father single pin.

Id be interested in Dan Ps thoughts on this.
I think I heard the same podcast or read the same article from Randy Ulmer. I can shoot decent, but definitely not good enough to see much, if any difference (like Randy Ulmer). I still bring a target and check my zero at some distance with broadheads when I get to my base camp just like you said. So far I havnt had to make any adjustments, but you never know if something gets bumped or loosens up while traveling.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
There is a difference going from my town, across the mountain to eugene; about 1-1/2" low at 60 when in eugene. We add 1/4 turn to the btm limb. Difference in lighting will move you around as well; there is a 1/3 turn in windage difference between the local club indoor range vs the local archery shop range at 20 yards. The new long barrel peeps help eliminate that lighting issue.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Thanks guys I can hold a 3-4 inch group at 80 so maybe when I get to the house there I will shoot starting at 50 and go out and see if there is much of a difference.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
When I lived at sea level and would start my ascent at trailhead (near 11,000’, I would shoot about 2” high at 40 yards. Slight adjustment and I was ready to go.

I now live at 7100’ and really haven’t seen much of a difference at higher altitudes.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I was listening to Brian Barney on one of his latest podcasts and he was talking about taking a field tip and finding a soft spot or a stump to shoot at once you get camp set up. Makes sense but idk about that when I’m shooting FMJs. I can’t afford a sacrificial arrow lol.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I live at 1400 foot in KS and have shot at 11,000 and didn't see much of a difference when I shot out to 60. At 50 there was maybe an inch difference, but I couldn't tell if it was me or the arrow. I didn't mess with my sight. I'd be willing to be your setup may play into it as well.