Bow hunter training?

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
Our great state is shut down due to the pricks on capital hill and I need to finish my bow hunter safety but can not due to shut down. I need to know if there is a bow safety class you can take online in one of the states that qualifies for Colorado. Any help would be great
thanks

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
If your not a resident of the state, i'm thinking your out of luck. Any chance you can get with one of your local class teachers and work something out. I'm sure its different from Montana. We have class room time, then a field day if your under a certain age.

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Colorado does not require bowhunter education to archery hunt there only a regular hunter education certificate. Do you have that?

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
Yes I have firearms saftey as required in Minnesota if that fills requirements, why do they state bowhunter saftey needed. I hope you all are right. I know the reg. number for firearms and bowhunter is the same in MN maybe able to sneek by but would like to be legal.
stringmusic how is the inspire treatin ya? I almost owned one went with a elite pure instead.
thanks again

coyhuntermn

Jul 18, 2011
I have hunted CO for over 20 years with a MN firearm safety. The trick is go to walmart to buy your license the first time or order online thru the DOW. Hang on to the CID number from year to year and present that to the clerk the next time purchasing and you will be good. For some reason some of the sporting goods stores will reject a MN firearm safety but I have had no trouble at walmart.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Colorado does not require bowhunter education to archery hunt there only a regular hunter education certificate. Do you have that?
Huh.
I could have sworn I read in the CO big game book that to hunt Archery you have to have an Archery Hunter Education Certificate?

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
Well I went and called colorado game and fish and you do not need archery saftey just hunter/firearm safety to archery hunt. If you have an archery saftey card and no firearm safety you can archery hunt but not firearms hunt. So i am good to go. Thanks all for responce.

Larry Schwartz

Aug 10, 2011
walleyed,

I could not find anything about CO requiring the IBEP to bowhunt in CO, but many outfitters do require it to ensure that their bowhunters have a basic understanding of bowhunting and how a broadhead harvests game.

As for finishing the course, all states offer the IBEP under some name, so you can go to any state and take the course and it will be good in any other state or province. Also, some states offer the option of taking most of the classroom portion of the course online and then doing a half-day field experience to finish it out.

Hope this helps,

Larry Schwartz
HS and IBEP instructor