Boot Inserts

MT dreaming

Aug 14, 2013
Hi folks- I bought a new pair of boots (Schnees 13" Hunters with removable liners) back in the spring for an upcoming elk hunt this fall. My normal shoe/boot size is 11.5. I also have narrow feet (B width) and I am flat footed. I had to order a size 12- its also probably a D width. I really like the boots but have decided I need some sort of insert to provide some arch support and help take up some room. What do you recommend? Also should I put it in the liner or underneath it. Any advice is appreciated.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I am also really flatfooted with narrow feet. I wear the Dr. Schoell's (spelling?) inserts for work and hiking. There are probably better ones out there, but those ones are readily available and can be changed out regularly. The arch support ones move around too much for me and I get hot spots, so I just use the soft pad kind. The pads do take up some room in the boot, but mostly it seems in the length area. The wool socks that I don't wear other than hiking or hunting seem to help in the width area the most. What seems to help me the most is good ankle support. My ankles aren't great because of the flat feet, so lacing them tight and sometimes even an ankle brace occasionally to help out because the boots seem to fold over when they get broken in because of the flat feet problem. Don't laugh but I have been doing yoga lately and I am surprised at how it stretches out my feet and the arches actually seem stronger. I haven't tried any liners, though. It might be something for me to look into, too. I am not sure that helped at all other than having someone else with flat feet on here.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I just got some Lathrop and Sons inserts... they are amazing. Not much thicker than the stock insoles but a waaaayyyy more comfortable. They are expensive, but I'm glad I finally spent the money on them.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I use PowerStep inserts. Just about any shoe you buy anymore, the inserts in them are garbage, so whenever I get new shoes I automatically get new inserts for them. They are about $50 a pair; the guy in the old time shoe store where I get them says if you have flat feet and need arch support these are the best you can get before going to custom orthotics. They made a tremendous difference for me.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I just got some Lathrop and Sons inserts... they are amazing. Not much thicker than the stock insoles but a waaaayyyy more comfortable. They are expensive, but I'm glad I finally spent the money on them.
X2 I have the Synergy in all my hunting and daily work boots. Love them!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
synergy makes an amazing insert, ill replace my high-end boot inserts with these ones. heck I was turned on to them by this forum last year