Boot info

wildstreak

Nov 24, 2014
Kentucky
Looking for some advice/info etc. I?m in the market for a new pair of boots. I don?t really need a ?mountain boot? but I do want something durable, comfortable, supportive and waterproof. The problem is I wear a size 15 boot. I have worn UA, Danners, Wolverine and Rockies. Within a year of light use every single one of them leak. I was hoping that moving up to the higher end market might resolve that issue. As I said earlier, I wear a 15 so there aren?t lot of options available. That being said, my choices are the Kenetrek mountain extreme, Crispi west river GTX and the Lowa Renegade GTX.

Thoughts? I know the reputation behind the kenetrek but I?m unfamiliar with the other two brands. Unfortunately there isn?t a retailer of any of these around here for me to try them on.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Looking for some advice/info etc. I?m in the market for a new pair of boots. I don?t really need a ?mountain boot? but I do want something durable, comfortable, supportive and waterproof. The problem is I wear a size 15 boot. I have worn UA, Danners, Wolverine and Rockies. Within a year of light use every single one of them leak. I was hoping that moving up to the higher end market might resolve that issue. As I said earlier, I wear a 15 so there aren?t lot of options available. That being said, my choices are the Kenetrek mountain extreme, Crispi west river GTX and the Lowa Renegade GTX.

Thoughts? I know the reputation behind the kenetrek but I?m unfamiliar with the other two brands. Unfortunately there isn?t a retailer of any of these around here for me to try them on.
I would not buy a boot without first trying them on .fit is everything. drive where you must .

kenetrek makes a fine boot at twice the price of danner. I personally did not find them to be worth the cost difference, as I still wore them out in 1 year but to each their own. I had to throw money away to learn. so must we all.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Try the, all on and buy what fits you best.

Also all boots need maintenance. You will need to wax even high end boots to keep them water proof.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Hanwag makes a 15. I've been wearing the Alaska GTX's for several years now. I love them. Never had wet or cold feet. They're easy to put on (an important consideration when trying to get dressed in a tiny tent), and they stay comfortable all day. I swapped out the insole for some Superfeet Greens, and keep the leather well conditioned with Obenauf Heavy Duty LP.

There are several sites that you can order from, to try on, and have free returns if they dont fit, since it can be really difficult to find stores that have multiple brands.

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I have Kenetrek that are the worst boots I've ever bought. They got my feet wet since a few months in (and I used their boot wax religiously). I'll never buy them again.

Hanwag and Lowa are sister companies (the WA in Lowa and WAG are both part of Wagner) that make exceptional boots. Zamberlan and Crispi are the other that I'd consider.

I currently have the Cripsi Wyoming and Lowa Tibet Superwarm (insulated version) and they're both exceptional. I had the Zamberlan 960s and they were great too. Try them on or at least be able to return what you don't like as boot fit can't be checked online.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Any of the top end brands you are mentioning will be a step up. Get the single piece leather boot that fits you the best and make sure you religiously use wax to keep the leather in good condition as well as shedding water. If you do that then you will likely be happy for a very long time.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014

Boots are a personal choice when you buy. All the top names are good. Fitting your foot is what decides the purchase.

I have the Lowa Tabits and two pair of renegade gtx boots. Both are great and fit my feet well with upgrading the insoles on all of them.

The renegades are a great hiking both and feel like tennis shoes to me. They are not a full leather lower; what I mean by that their are spots where the pieces of the boot are stitched together. What happens here is if you at hitting the side of the boot with anything abrasive the stitching come off. Boot is flexible and easy to break in.

The Tibet?s are a beast and tough. The whole boot is stiffer and give great ankle support. But they took me longer to break them in. The boot is solid leather and a rubber rand that protects against abrasions. These are awesome boots too.

As far as retailers you can look at shoe.com and have them shipped. I believe they sit offer shipping both way. I ordered two pairs and sent the pair that didn?t fit back with no issue.

The other place to look since you have a size 15 is Shnees and Lathrop and son. Both will help fit boot. I have not used them yet. But have heard great things.

All comes down to your fit and your hunting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I've had my Kenetrek mountain extremes for four years! Not a single issue! Like others have said fit is king. What most haven't said is a sock combination is even more important. I wear a silk sock liner and a REI Expedition sock! I wax my boots before and after every hunt. I've Never had wet feet! Good luck

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
Zamberlan Tofane. Keep them waxed and understand a good boot requires a break-in and you will never look back. Don't be afraid to order them on-line. If your boot requires no break-in, well...you bought a pair of sneakers.

Italian boots are the absolute best for what you are doing. If I wanted a logging boot I would say Whites and Wesco are best. Danner is based 15 minutes from my house and I would not wear a pair if they were given to me - they are just imported trash. What does Zamberlan Tofane, Wesco and Whites have in common? All of their soles are stitched and can be re-soled if there is a cobbler near you. Very few people realize boots were re-soled for many decades before molding and outsourcing became the standard for boot making in America.

Good luck buddy, some good advice in this thread.

Last edited:

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Kenetreks are the worst boots I have ever purchased. The soles started falling apart, the rubber wrap came loose, and they started leaking shortly after purchasing. I never could get them to fit right, always rubbed my heel no matter the insoles, socks, or lacing technique after putting myself through hell waiting for them to "break in", they never broke in. As you can see they do not have a lot of miles on them.
IMG_0417.jpgIMG_0418.jpg

Never again.

I wear Meindl boots for hunting except for antelope and I use a danner military style desert boots for warm weather situations.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
if you've never had wet feet when hunting you aren't hunting/hiking extreme conditions.

to those who say otherwise ,I must call BS. there has never been a boot made that will not fail you in certain situations.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
if you've never had wet feet when hunting you aren't hunting/hiking extreme conditions.

to those who say otherwise ,I must call BS. there has never been a boot made that will not fail you in certain situations.
Guess myself personally am not speaking to the waterproof factor at all.
I've got ankle issues and literally at the end of last year couldn't take the pain at the end of the day in my mid grade boots. Figured an expensive pair was worth a shot, and I can tell you they did.
I've got 7 different pair of mid grade boots, that I've tried a pile of different insoles in, and if I'm at work climbing, walking, standing on ladders or tower rungs my ankle are fine. The minute I start putting serious miles on there not, that's the only reason I spent the cash, and really glad I did. Way more to a boot than waterproofing.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Guess myself personally am not speaking to the waterproof factor at all.
I've got ankle issues and literally at the end of last year couldn't take the pain at the end of the day in my mid grade boots. Figured an expensive pair was worth a shot, and I can tell you they did.
I've got 7 different pair of mid grade boots, that I've tried a pile of different insoles in, and if I'm at work climbing, walking, standing on ladders or tower rungs my ankle are fine. The minute I start putting serious miles on there not, that's the only reason I spent the cash, and really glad I did. Way more to a boot than waterproofing.
yeah,I get that.

some of those type issues can also be resolved in the way one laces their boots

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Consider yourselves lucky. I have an 11.5 foot with a EEEE / 4E width. Actually my foot measures out to 5E, but can't find that size.

I've been wearing New Balance shoes all my life. There are a few brands out there for sneakers and dress shoes, but very few for hunting. Cabela's used to make lots of 4E boots, but they stopped.

Found Under Armour Men's Speed Freek Bozeman in 4E and like them very much. But the are more like athletic shoes rather than hunting boots. Did fine during deer season when temps dipped in to the teens.

Wife got me a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers last year...I haven't broken them in yet.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Wow, you could probably go surfing without a surfboard!
And with ape-like-long arms, you would think I could be a good swimmer. But the body of an offensive lineman made that a moot point.

I remember as a kid, one shoe salesman joked that we should buy shoes, throw away the shoes and wear the boxes on my feet.

Needless to say I am now a "shoe-whore"...I probably have 50 pair in the closet...over half are 15+ years old...I just can't throw them out.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Try the, all on and buy what fits you best.

Also all boots need maintenance. You will need to wax even high end boots to keep them water proof.
this!!!! ive put my boots through hell. everything from lava flows to nasty shale rock and everything between including rain and snow. proper maintnance will keep your boots trucking. sorry kidoggy but i have yet to find a boot that i have loved more than kenetrek. nevada crispi will be my next boot to try out. danners are one boot i just cant handle. but, everyone's feet are different..

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I sure wish I loved my Kenetrek boots. I wore my first pair out within a few years bought a second pair last summer hoping to have better Luck. Both pair leaked the first time I wore them in wet weather. Nothing I have been able to do keeps them from leaking. I thought maybe the first pair was a fluke but two tells me they are just another boot. Just cost a lot more.