Blaze Orange Vest?

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
Anybody got a blaze orange vest that they really like? I've been using an uninsulated/unconstructed UA blaze vest with a couple of pockets in the front and kinda feel like its time for an upgrade. My mom could probably put in a new zipper for me but I'd like something a bit more substantial. I've seen Sitka and KUIU offerings and not terribly impressed with either, I suppose I could get used to it. I'm thinking oversized for layering, maybe a smidge of insulation but not much, but something that feels like it fits instead of hangs on me would be appreciated. A pocket for a phone and reading glasses, a shell loop or two would be nice but not necessary, and a couple of hand pockets would be pretty handy I think. Anybody got such a thing?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I used to wear a insulated reversible vest all the time but had it stolen and since then I mostly wear a uninsulated zippered sweatshirt.

If it gets cold enough I just use a fairly cheap vest over the top of my warmer jackets. I've looked at some of the newer vest but I then look at the price and keep what I have been wearing.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Havent found anything like that. Kryptek has a decent one I saw once. I use a light orange aglow vest over my normal layers. Nothing fits my hiking layers and over a thick puffy much better than that. Sometimes when I’m not hiking I use an old orange Carhardt hoody I cut the sleeves off. The hood works well over my puffy jacket hood.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If not hiking a ton, Im in the same boat as CC upland vest, reversible, khaki on one side, blaze orange on the other.

If im hiking alot, then the cheap panel ones wth side mesh is what Im wearing.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I bought a wool "Woolrich" vest years ago, and am still happy with it. I do bring a lightweight mesh vest in case it is too hot for the wool, and I usually fold that over to show some orange on the back of my hunting pack. I wanted to move the pockets higher and at an angle for better access while wearing a pack, but upon close inspection, decided to not risk ruining something that works 95% of the time.

Reactions: mcseal2
I have this kings camo blaze vest. Best vest I have ever used. The softshell adds some warmth and its lined with fleece so its like having a softshell jacket on. It has a chest and hand pockets. Fitted so it's not all baggy and doesn't catch on stuff. I had about the same parameters as you when I went looking and was really glad I found this one.
https://www.scheels.com/p/kings-camo-blaze-soft-shell-vest/75415005410.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwnrjrBRAMEiwAXsCc40uqhC5B63ZTd9ZZ4mWw_0W05FM1vFLT8LiavGKyNO2J_OF-o6QVlRoCt8kQAvD_BwE

Reactions: mcseal2

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I wear a $10 cheap over-sized blaze orange.
To me it 's more of an accessory than a main garment. I don't take pic with it on either as don't like it.
But I do wear one since its the law and I don't want shot by an idiot who is NOT sure of his target or beyond. :p

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I wear a hat, and have a vest strapped to the back of my pack so someone doesn't shoot me in the back. I also hang it in a tree, or wear it while I break down an animal. I'll wear it when I crawl up to a ridge top antelope hunting so I can take my hat off. Think I paid a few bucks for it after season one year at Walmart.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That's one of the problems with all the states having different requirements. Not only for one season but all. Some states require it for this animal but not that animal. It can get confusing at times.

Here in Colorado it is 400 sq inches with something orange on your head.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
That's one of the problems with all the states having different requirements. Not only for one season but all. Some states require it for this animal but not that animal. It can get confusing at times.

Here in Colorado it is 400 sq inches with something orange on your head.
400sq. inches That would mean wearing a Blaze Onesie and
my Underoos would have to be Blaze also! Ridiculous...Do
Mickey Mouse Hats come in Blaze? :cool: