Black Ice.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Surprised they gave you a ticket. You didn't hit anyone and totaled the car. Sounds like a money grab to me..........

Heck fight the ticket in court. You can fly my out and I will represent you for free. I'm not a lawyer, have never done this but have stayed at a Holiday Inn and the offer is there.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Damn MM!! Glad to hear you and you girl are ok. The SUV can be replaced.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Glad your both OK MM! I had to drive my wife and I home last night in a freezing rain storm, it was a long nervous drive home from the valley. Black ice Isn't anything to take lightly.

I've been in two rollover accidents and wasn't wearing a seat belt either time, I always have it on now days.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I wish I had been in some kind of storm. Atleast I would have been expecting the road to be bad. This went from good to black ice everywhere with no warning at all. I considered taking it strait down the bank but I didnt know what was down there. After seeing the place in the light Im still not sure if I would do that or not if I did it again. We both walked away from it so I guess I made the right decision. I always cussed that Durango for dinging at you if the seat belt wasnt on but truthfully I dont think I would have been wearing it if it wasnt for that so maybe that feature is not as bad as I thought.

WSP is required to give you a ticket if you go off the road no matter what happens. I could tell the officer didnt want to write it. He even told me "to fast for conditions" is an easy ticket to beat and thats why they write that ticket for something like this. My GF's brother thats a cop said "I was a victim of a road that should have been closed" I like that description!

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Are you going to try and beat the ticket? Do you have to go see the judge for that? That is a good description. When I was in Washington they asked me about all the road closure gates things out here. It has to be pretty bad for them to close the road. They still have to post someone at the gate to make sure no one tries to get through. I think down around Cheyenne and Laramie they close them more frequently. They get those blizzards come through that you can't see you hand in front of your face. The dang wind takes all your breath away, too. I didn't see any gates when I was in Washington, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Im fighting this ticket all the way! I mailed it in requesting a court date to contest it. We dont have gates here to close roads. They will put up temp barricades if a road gets closed but that is usually only if there is alot of snow and they cant keep up plowing. Some idiot usually goes around them in a car and gets stuck. lol. I have gone around them before but that was because they were between me and home and I wasnt spending the night in my truck less then 5 miles from home!

hoshour

Veteran member
The ticket's not the worst part, it's the increase in your insurance premiums if you have anything else on your record.

Still, the absolute worst didn't happen, which is the main thing. It will put a man to thinking and that's a good thing. Glad you're both OK.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Too update, my ticket was thrown out!!! The officer that had to wright it really didnt want to write it so he put absolutely nothing on the ticket or his report that the state could use to possibly make it stick and the state decided to move to dismiss it without even going to the judge!

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
Glad your ticket got thrown out and you ended up ok after your wreck. A girl I know just totalled her truck by spinning out on black ice and hitting the cement guard rail. She ended up ok too.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The highlight of the court date was the lawyer for a trucker that got a ticket for falsifying his log book trying to convince the judge that he really could have averaged 109 mph from MO to SD and that his log book was correct. I never herd of claiming you did something worse then what you were accused of before....

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
The highlight of the court date was the lawyer for a trucker that got a ticket for falsifying his log book trying to convince the judge that he really could have averaged 109 mph from MO to SD and that his log book was correct. I never herd of claiming you did something worse then what you were accused of before....
Lol now thats funny

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
Hahahaha....lawyers will try anything!