Black Ice.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
My Girlfriend and I went to the Cabelas invitation only club members only sale sunday night. When we went up at around 5 it was in the low 40's, coming back it was right at 32 and the road looked fine. Just before a short overpass where the 2 lane highway crosses a county road the back of the Dodge Durango slid a bit. I backed off and got it straightened out, I was worried about the overpass but got across it ok. When we hit the pavement on the other side all hell broke loose. Luckily there were no other cars around and I did everything I could to keep it headed down the road but we ended up sliding off the other side of the highway, turning with the front facing the highway and rolling twice the best I can remember and stopping on its right side. Its lucky it rolled the way it did, looking at it the next day I think it would have rolled atleast 6 times if it had rolled down the bank instead of along it and there were some big rocks below us that Im glad we didnt roll over. My first reaction was to turn off the ignition although I have no idea if it was still running or not. Next was "holy F Tina are you ok?" She said "yes" and all I knew is we had to get the hell out of there. Her door was on the ground and mine wouldnt open (she pointed out later that the door would have been locked but that was beyond my thought process at the time). Next thing I knew I kicking the holy S out of what was left of the windshield, safety glass is tougher then it looks even when its shattered but I got it out enough for us to both get out through the windshield. When we finally got home I realized I had cuts and scratches all over my hands, I think they are from pushing the wind shield out after I kicked it out but I really have no idea what happened.

When we got out I said "I just f'n destroyed your car" She said " its ok its insured". Damn I love that girl! Not sure what I would have done if something had happened to her.

We were both wearing our seat belts. I have spent alot of time cussing seatbelts and seat belt laws but I truely believe that is what saved us. Things like this really give you a different perspective on life. As we get closer to thanksgiving I have alot to be thankful for! Be careful this winter!!!

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Man, that was a close call. I'm glad you now see why I told you in a discussion not too long ago to use a seat belt whether you agree that they should be required or not! Vehicles can be replaced, but not humans! Glad you got out with just a few scratches! I also lost it on a slick, snowy stretch just before I got to my cabin in northern MI last week, but was able to keep the PU on the road with just some major fishtailing. It took a while to get that weird taste you get in your mouth when something like that happens though!

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
MM....so glad you both are safe. Sounds like it could have been way worse, even though it looks like it was bad enough in your pictures. I've never rolled one. I've turned one on it's side, and had one hell of an accident in a M113. But your accident looks serious. Again, glad you're both just banged up and not worse.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Glad your both safe, I had the same outlook on seat belts until I had kids now we all have a seatbelt check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
It was a hell of a ride till it ended......... I have drove 1000's of miles in snow, ice, blizzards, times I couldnt see far enough to pull off the road, with trailers, semi's ect. Never had a time I couldnt keep the wheels on the ground before.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Wow, I am glad you guys are alright, too. That is really scary. I had a similar rollover on black ice. No one was hurt in that one either thankfully. That also made me a believer in seat belts. I over corrected when my back end started to come around, so it was my fault, but sometimes it happens so fast there isn't much you can do. As I was rolling I kindof freaked out and bent the steering wheel. I didn't know they would bend like that. I agree with the different perspective afterwords, too. You figure out pretty quick what is important. The roads here are pretty slick today, so this was a timely reminder for me to be careful.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
M.M., sure glad that you're both okay, that's scary stuff. Personally, I couldn't back my truck out of the driveway without having my seatbelt on. I've seen them save too many people from injuries or worse.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Holy cow, glad you are safe.

My wife rolled her FJ a few years ago when she tapped the brake trying to turn off the cruise control.

You are proably right on the seat belts saving more serious injury.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I just started wearing my seat belt a few weeks ago, my 4 year old daughter kept asking me why I didn't wear one! Well I would hate to have my girls and wife grow up without a dad around.

I'm glad your safe MM, looked like it was one hell of a ride!!

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
Vehicles are replaceable your lives aren't. Glad to see u both had your seatbelts on and are ok. We all sometimes take life for granted and really need to stop and think how thankful we really are for what we have. Glad you guys are ok.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Glad yall are ok man. It's amasing how torn up the vehicles look after a wreck like this, but how the cab doesn't get smashed in as much. Glad yall could get out and didn't have any major injuries! I'm a big believer in seatbelt a as well. My bro hit a big heifer one night in his little Toyota pickup and ended up in the middle of a field. Seatbelt saved some major injuries or worse

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm sure you guys are a bit sore; thank the lord you were able to walk away with just some scrapes and bruises.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Glad you two are OK. Black Ice is the worst, you don't know its there until its too late.

Don't worry about the dodge you can always replace that

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Black Ice is the worst, you don't know its there until its too late.
Aint that the truth! Everything was fine and then it wasnt and there was no way out of it and nothing I could do. Its a bad stretch of HWY for it. About 5 years ago I hit black Ice within a few miles of this wreck and dove off the road in my powerstroke to avoid a semi and car. That time I was able to slow down alot more before I decided taking it off on the bank was my only option to avoid hitting anyone. This time I couldnt even do that. That time I kept the wheels down and luckily a friend was going by and pulled me out of the mud. I still dont know how the semi didnt wreck, I dont think the cop believed my story either but didnt get a ticket atleast. This time I got a $175 ticket for "too fast for conditions". I thought totaling my GF's Dodge was bad enough but I guess the state of WA feels you need a ticket to go with it...