Binocular Question

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I have the 10x42 Leupold Mojave Cabelas version binocular and love it for all the uses it has back east. Then I tried it on my 2019 hunt. We had some muley does bedded at 400 yds and could see em if you knew where you were looking. Buddy had newer sub-$200 Leupolds that showed em a tad bit better than mine - thinking there is better out there.

Are there any sub-$1,000 binoculars that help pull the deer out - make em stand out some so they are easier to find. Might be the $1 million question but figured to ask in case someone had the answer.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For hunting out west I believe that you need at a minimum 10x glass. One of the most popular are the 10x42's.

For less than a grand you can also get some Vortex, do a search for "refurbished Vortex" there is a web site that sells them and they still carry the full factory warranty.

But I also like Leupold's, but I don't know of a discount site for them

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks, Deep.

Jim - I corrected my initial post, they are 10x42. Will do a search on the refurbished Vortex binoculars.

Hoping that some folks can share the brand and series that help the deer stand out. There are no places around Orlando to try most brands of optics - Bass Pro was mainly Swaro, Nikon, and Vortex. Academy is all sub-$500, mostly under $250 but has more variety.

Reactions: go_deep

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
This is the biggest thing I've noticed between my Maven and Vortex is the glass is crystal clear right to the edge on the Maven's. I find myself forgetting i'm looking through binoculars because there so clear, I don't get that with my Vortex.

Reactions: Slugz

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A lot of times when you are glassing a long distance at deer you have to pay attention to other things besides the antlers. Look for the black forehead that only bucks have, then you may be able to pick out the antlers as they move their heads as they feed.

I have a pair of Leupold BX2's and a pair of Swaro's they are both 10x42's. If you get much higher you are going to need a tripod to steady them on. I also have a pair of 16x ones that I can steady but it takes practice but the ones that I pack if I am the hunter are the 10x42's.

Reactions: BKC

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Deep - Forgetting they are binoculars would be nice.

Thanks, Jim. Was thinking to stick with 10x, had heard 12 and 15 get shakey. I don't mind a tripod and have seen how a tripod makes even the 10x work better.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Just my opinion but here in Colorado the standard (and what works for me) seems to be a decent mid-range set of 10x42's and a spotting scope for anything higher. Once you start getting into the 12+ range with binos, unless you're resting them on a tripod, I feel like what you gain in zoom you lose in "the shakes". And given they weigh a bit more, it's just not worth it. I have a buddy with a nice pair of 12x50's who's looking to step down this year for exactly this reason.

Reactions: BKC

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You really didn't say if you were hunting or scouting. I have a set of Swaro 8x50 bino/rf combo that I hunt with. If weight is not too much of a concern and you are using something mobile (atv, sxs, mt bike, etc) and walking fairly short distances, I would take a spotting scope/tripod too. Hard to beat the definition of a good spotter.

I carry my Leupold spotter in my sxs and take it when I can to augment my optics.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I have a pair of 10x40 Zeiss which are great and recently bought some 12x50 Swaro's.
The 10x Zeiss are pretty easy to hold steady.
The 12x Swaro's are much clearer but I agree with what's been said, 12x's a little hard to hold steady.
I have a tripod to put them on which makes all the difference … they are unbelievably effective on a tripod … but not sub $1,000 at all.
I'm just giving you my perspective on the difference between 10x and 12x for the "shakes"

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks, guys.

Task - yes, 10x. Just want to get best bang for buck.

Cowboy - no scouting for me, I'm too far out to scout - just show up and hunt.

Winchester - thanks for confirmation.

Was thinking 10x would be best since I have to use em on the east side of the states too. Tripod or shooting stick is in the plans - will be pretty stationary for the most part - parcel I plan on focusing on is roughly 2 miles x 4 miles - gonna peel it like an onion daily and should get a deer or two in a week of hunting.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are ready to pull the trigger right now Monday 3/16 Camo fire has some Leupold BX-5 10x42's for $925. If you don't know about Camofire, they run sales for 24 hours and then change to new products. I have seen them on there a couple of times but they could also pull them and you'll never see them on it again. I did a quick check and found them from $935 on up at other sites.

Reactions: marcusvdk and Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Dang.....Pretty good deal for a Abbe-Koenig set of glass.
Is it just me or is the price of good glass coming down ? Seems like there is more competition in the market versus the European makers?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I bought a pair of swaro slc 10x42. they are awesome and i was amazed at how much better i could see at dusk and dawn with them, compared to my super old style zeiss 10x40's. the zeiss are the classic style