Bighorn sheep ? Am I wasting my time put in in for points.

Yot 1

Feb 13, 2014
MN
I'm sitting on 2 points already and just looked at the Wyoming game and fish points totals sheet and if what I'm thinking is right by there sheet on nonresident points is it would take me 134 year to pull this tag. could any one out there tell me if I'm thinking right. Or tell me if I'm not wasting my money buying these points. It may take 16 points now but what will it be 10 years from now. Just don't want to push money toward something that will never happen. Just turned 33 year of age would hope to pull the tag before I'm 50.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I'm sitting on 2 points already and just looked at the Wyoming game and fish points totals sheet and if what I'm thinking is right by there sheet on nonresident points is it would take me 134 year to pull this tag. could any one out there tell me if I'm thinking right. Or tell me if I'm not wasting my money buying these points. It may take 16 points now but what will it be 10 years from now. Just don't want to push money toward something that will never happen.
I've drawn 3 sheep tags and my immediate family has drawn 3 more. I wouldn't buy points where you are at. Save your money and go Dall Sheep hunting someday. I'm at 9 points for moose in Wyoming (drew in 1999) and I am thinking of bailing out.

If you would, start a new thread and introduce yourself, if would be cool to get to know you.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
It's just luck of the draw, my cousin is a resident and has been applying for close to twenty years and has not drawn yet. Then there are people who draw a tag a couple years into it.

Yot 1

Feb 13, 2014
MN
They always talk about point creep and I've been only buying points. So I don't know if I'll ever get to max points to be able to get the best chance to draw the tag so thinking that bailing is better then wasting money on points that may never get me to max points. Can any one tell me if I'm right on this or should I just keep going with the points.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
They always talk about point creep and I've been only buying points. So I don't know if I'll ever get to max points to be able to get the best chance to draw the tag so thinking that bailing is better then wasting money on points that may never get me to max points. Can any one tell me if I'm right on this or should I just keep going with the points.
At 33 years old you will almost certainly never catch the max point pool. You also never know if they will modify to a bonus point system…or drop the system all together. If I was at the bottom of the point pool, I would not buy points only. I might apply for a tag, and earn the point each year, though even that is a marginal investment of your hunting dollars if you really want to sheep hunt.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Yes, you are wasting money. Do the math. I bailed and dumped 8 points several years ago when they began charging $100/year nonrefundable. It will only get worse as time passes and they devalue points with "rule changes".

Yot 1

Feb 13, 2014
MN
That is what I was thinking I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks Umpqua Hunter you have been a very good help. I would love to shoot a sheep some day but there has got to be a better way. Plus was at my first mountain lion tree this year with a friend in Wyoming so need to figure out where my money will be best spent for the future of my hunting. May be more leaning to doing that for years to come then a once and a life time hunt. Hounding is getting in my blood. chase yot in MN with dogs now.

Last edited:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
That is what I was thinking I just needed someone to tell me that. Thanks Umpqua Hunter you have been a very good help.
You bet. For what it's worth I have a friend in his 50s with 11 points and I'm telling him he's wasting his money buying points for sheep. Of course he is older than you, but he won't catch the max pool before he's too old to sheep hunt.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Check the Colorado Sheep & Goat regs. There are no points needed and there is one Desert Sheep tag set aside for NRs. You will have to pony up $1334.00 to apply. Colorado is different in their approach to points for Desert and Rocky Mt. Bighorns.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I gave up on points on moose and sheep a few years ago. I setup a savings account and have a little bit of money siphoned off each paycheck. Its amazing how fast it grows. I'm plannning on a sheep hunt in Canada and should have money by the time I'm 45.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I would only apply in places that dont use a point system. Atleast you have the same chance as anyone else and your not spending money on points. Mathematically there are alot of people applying for tags that will never draw them in their lifetime.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Check the Colorado Sheep & Goat regs. There are no points needed and there is one Desert Sheep tag set aside for NRs. You will have to pony up $1334.00 to apply. Colorado is different in their approach to points for Desert and Rocky Mt. Bighorns.
I just checked last years stats. There was one (1) Desert Sheep tag for NRs and there was 405 applicants for it. Best odds you can get in a drawing, but they do keep your money for about 3 months until you get it back.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Yot 1,
Failed to mention I apply for sheep in a lot of states (CO, NV, AZ, OR, etc.), and have 15+ points in most those. I know I'll likely never draw even in those, but at least I may have a 1% chance. In WY, due to their system, you invest $100+/year for virtually zero odds. Just a bad investment. As you mention, there are many better places to invest those funds.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Look at Idaho. They have some of the best draw odds for sheep. It is a straight up random draw. You have to buy a $150 non-refundable license though so if you don't plan on hunting deer or elk there, it is pricey to get your name in the hat.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I could be wrong but Im not sure you have to buy a hunting license in ID to apply for trophy species. I know you have to front the tag fee of 2K+ or whatever it is now and you can only apply for sheep or goats or moose or deer/elk/antelope each year. For deer/elk/antelope you have to buy the license but you dont put up the tag cost to apply for LE hunts.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have never applied for anything but deer/elk/antelope. The good thing about how they only let you apply for 1 is it spreads applicants out and is alot of why the drawing odds are so good for sheep, goats, moose in Idaho.