Big Agnes 3 wire bivy photos

I just picked up this bivy from work yesterday and am looking forward to spend some time in it this spring chasing bears. It only weighs 1 pound 12 ounces minimum weight and the top of the bivy is made out of eVent. For those of you not sure what eVent is, it breathes 3 times better than gore tex which prevents moisture building up inside a bivy, jacket or footwear. The stuff works amazingly well. Anyways take a look at the photos and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers
Shane

Attachments

What's it cost?
The cost on the bivy is 299.99

Is it waterproof like gore tex?
Event is 100% waterproof. The process that they use makes it more breathable. It would take me 5 pages to write about it but if you the full story give me a call. 406.582.7901

How long/wide?
Length is 89 in,Shoulder Width 31 in,Foot Width: 25 in,Floor Area: 17.5 sq ft,Head Height 20.5 in

How many poles?
There are 3 grommets on the head area of the bivy but there is only 2 poles and they are attached in the middle with a plastic clip. So there is really only 1 pole that you need to deal with.

If you need any more info please let me know.Ill be happy to help you out.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I thought about this bivy, but decided to get the Big Agnes UL1 instead. The deciding factor was the tent gave me a small vestibule to put my boots, stove, etc. under. I know a lot of guys using bivy’s, but I have yet to take the plunge. If I do this will be on top of my list.

For sure I hear ya. I used it this weekend was pretty happy with it. It was the first time I had used a bivy and didn't mind it that much, just a little different to get in and out of. I think in the fall and spring when the chance of foul weather is higher I will take a actual 1 man tent so I can have a vestibule and some room to move around in. Attached is some photos of it in action.

Attachments

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
Did you have any condensation issues? That was one of my big concerns when I was going to go the bivy route. I like the look of this bivy. The way it gets off you face with the pole, etc. is great.

For sure I hear ya. I used it this weekend was pretty happy with it. It was the first time I had used a bivy and didn't mind it that much, just a little different to get in and out of. I think in the fall and spring when the chance of foul weather is higher I will take a actual 1 man tent so I can have a vestibule and some room to move around in. Attached is some photos of it in action.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
It is hard to imagine going the bivy route with such great ultralight tents these days such as the UL series. Almost the same weight as the bivy (within a few ounces) with so much more versatility.
llp

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
True bivy sacks are nice when you are in country where you have a hard time finding the space for a tent (even a small one) or places to set a stake, or places to tie a guy line.

I still use my tarptent contrail more than my bivy, though.

llp,

For sure I hear ya. Believe you me that thought has crossed my head, especially in foul weather a bivy is no fun. I am still planning on getting a copper spur 1 or fly creek 1. I am gonna try the 3 wire for a couple more trips to get a real opinion on it then make up my mind. So far so good though, I really enjoy it.