Best States?

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
Here's the deal, I'm 24 right now and I'm wanting to complete my Grand Slam by age 50. I have 7 out of 29 as of right now and have done all of the hunts DIY (Rocky Mountain Elk, Coues Deer, Columbian Blacktail Deer, Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, and Black Bear).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Desert Bighorn, Californian Bighorn, and Shira's Moose. Point creep within the last ten years has been insane and my guess is in most of the states that aren't random draws or allocate random tags are out of the question (like not wasting the money on buying PP in Wyoming). I've faced the music and decided that I should just buy a Mountain Goat hunt in Alaska, however, I'll still apply for Wyoming, Oregon, and Colorado Mountain Goat.

I'm assuming Idaho is my best bet for Shira's Moose. I have a good idea of which unit to apply for as I've spent four years there around the moose there. So, I won't be applying for any Sheep in Idaho. ($185 Hunting License + $45.75 Application Fee Moose)
I'm applying for Oregon Rocky Mountain Goat and Bighorn Sheep. ($172 Hunting License + $8 Application Fee per App)
I'm applying for Colorado Mountain Goat, Moose, and Bighorn Sheep ($82.78 Hunting License + $7 Application Fee per App + $50 PP)
I'm applying for Arizona Desert Bighorn. ($165 Hunting license + $15 Application Fee)
I'm applying for Moose, Bighorn, and Mountain Goat in Wyoming. (Money for each tag upfront $15 non-refundable application fee per app)

Just to apply to these states I'm up to $747.53 per year (not including Colorado PP and I won't purchase Wyoming PP)

I haven't ever applied for Montana, Utah, Nevada, California, Washington (Preference Point Only?), etc., and would appreciate some information on these draws. I'll do my own research as well, just wanting info on Preference Point vs. Random Draw in each state as I'm not familiar with them and putting money upfront vs. not. I figured this would be useful information for not only myself, but, others looking into putting into the draw for these states.

Obviously, we can't have this thread without someone bringing up the Montana Unlimited, I know it exists and I have two good friends who have harvested rams there. I'm planning to go into 502 and 500 this summer to check the area out and look at previous areas where hunters have harvest rams.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd go to Canada for the moose and Mexico for desert bighorn.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
It’ll prolly be a long road for you unfortunately man. You’re definitely young enough to keep building points, but like you mentioned, point creep definitely puts you behind the 8 ball. My dad had been applying and doing points for sheep for as long as I can remember. I can’t remember the exact amount of points, but in WY he had around or over 20. Same for Arizona as well. He never drew any of those tags. I know he also applied in every other state that had sheep tags. The only sheep tag he drew was in Idaho. He killed a dandy ram though! I’ve been applying and putting in points for years. I figure I might start drawing these tags when my hole is getting dug!!! But I’ll still keep at it and god willing draw one or two!
Also like others stated, go to Canada, Alaska, or Mexico. Expensive...very! But it is possible for an every day blue collar to budget and save up.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Just a thought;
With less folks getting into hunting (young folks anyway with current hunters aging out), will the point creep bubble break in 15 years?

I'm sure states will find another way to mess with hunters by then. That is if the Dems don't have all of our guns to protect us.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Start buying power-ball tickets. lol

I watched Lee and Tiffany go hunting in Mexico for Desert sheep on TV the other day.

That hunt for us common peasants is 90,000$...

Even if a person was a multi-millionaire, that is stupid reckless spending to the nth degree.

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
Start buying power-ball tickets. lol

I watched Lee and Tiffany go hunting in Mexico for Desert sheep on TV the other day.

That hunt for us common peasants is 90,000$...

Even if a person was a multi-millionaire, that is stupid reckless spending to the nth degree.
Mexico is $35,000-45,000 right now, not $90,000. They're $60,000 in Texas and they advertise for $90,000, but, you can talk them down. BC's Canada Shira's is $8,000-11,000 now with combo hunts being offered because most places can get you a Mule Deer, not a Moose. For $35,000 I'd rather do a Grizz, Moose, and Dall Sheep combo hunt in Alaska right now.

Baby boomers are retiring and going on their dream hunts driving prices through the roof.

Reactions: Wyoming Hart

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I will echo what these guys are saying. Learn to save for the big things you want and develop legitimate plans to get there. In my previous career I made some TERRRIBLE financial decisions that led to some serious soul searching which in turn led my wife and I down the path of freedom from debt. We have one student loan left and I am not trusting Biden to forgive them, but it will be sweet to be out from under them. Saving will be natural for us and I am still young enough to accomplish the dreams that we/I want.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Enter the various state raffles like the Wyoming Super Tag. Rotten odds, but not really all that much worse than buying points for half your lifetime hoping that you're still alive 25-30 years from now. How many of you have bought the lottery tickets when you heard that they are over 400 million $. At least if you win a sheep tag it won't totally screw up your life.

• Haha
Reactions: shootbrownelk

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
I will echo what these guys are saying. Learn to save for the big things you want and develop legitimate plans to get there. In my previous career I made some TERRRIBLE financial decisions that led to some serious soul searching which in turn led my wife and I down the path of freedom from debt. We have one student loan left and I am not trusting Biden to forgive them, but it will be sweet to be out from under them. Saving will be natural for us and I am still young enough to accomplish the dreams that we/I want.
That's why I'm asking for draw advice, not financial advice. I'm one of the lucky few with zero debt and a little bit tucked away in savings/investments. That's how am able to hunt Roosevelt in Oregon and Sitka Blacktail in Alaska (DIY) next year and Greenland Musk Ox/Caribou in the fall of 2022. I have a plan, but, if I'm able to draw in the L48 by the time I'm 50 instead of just buying the hunts outright that would be great.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Here's the deal, I'm 24 right now and I'm wanting to complete my Grand Slam by age 50. I have 7 out of 29 as of right now and have done all of the hunts DIY (Rocky Mountain Elk, Coues Deer, Columbian Blacktail Deer, Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, and Black Bear).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go Rocky Mountain Bighorn, Desert Bighorn, Californian Bighorn, and Shira's Moose. Point creep within the last ten years has been insane and my guess is in most of the states that aren't random draws or allocate random tags are out of the question (like not wasting the money on buying PP in Wyoming). I've faced the music and decided that I should just buy a Mountain Goat hunt in Alaska, however, I'll still apply for Wyoming, Oregon, and Colorado Mountain Goat.

I'm assuming Idaho is my best bet for Shira's Moose. I have a good idea of which unit to apply for as I've spent four years there around the moose there. So, I won't be applying for any Sheep in Idaho. ($185 Hunting License + $45.75 Application Fee Moose)
I'm applying for Oregon Rocky Mountain Goat and Bighorn Sheep. ($172 Hunting License + $8 Application Fee per App)
I'm applying for Colorado Mountain Goat, Moose, and Bighorn Sheep ($82.78 Hunting License + $7 Application Fee per App + $50 PP)
I'm applying for Arizona Desert Bighorn. ($165 Hunting license + $15 Application Fee)
I'm applying for Moose, Bighorn, and Mountain Goat in Wyoming. (Money for each tag upfront $14 non-refundable application fee per app)

Just to apply to these states I'm up to $744.53 per year (not including Colorado PP and I won't purchase Wyoming PP)
Your missing about $300 out of pocket if you are applying in Wyoming for moose and sheep. If you apply, they automatically give you a PP and deduct the $150 from your refund.

All applicants who are unsuccessful drawing a moose or full price bighorn sheep license will automatically be awarded a preference point each year they participate in the limited quota drawing.

Nonresidents will have the applicable moose ($150) and/or full price bighorn sheep ($150) preference point fees deducted from their license refund. Residents will receive a full refund of their license fee.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
good luck, i don't even want to think about how much money i spend on sheep applications in a year.
Been applying since 2003 and have only pulled one. I bought the other 2 rams i have.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
That's why I'm asking for draw advice, not financial advice. I'm one of the lucky few with zero debt and a little bit tucked away in savings/investments. That's how am able to hunt Roosevelt in Oregon and Sitka Blacktail in Alaska (DIY) next year and Greenland Musk Ox/Caribou in the fall of 2022. I have a plan, but, if I'm able to draw in the L48 by the time I'm 50 instead of just buying the hunts outright that would be great.
Love to hear more about this Greenland muskox hunt. 👍

IowaBuck

Jan 15, 2016
Iowa/Wyoming
Your missing about $300 out of pocket if you are applying in Wyoming for moose and sheep. If you apply, they automatically give you a PP and deduct the $150 from your refund.

All applicants who are unsuccessful drawing a moose or full price bighorn sheep license will automatically be awarded a preference point each year they participate in the limited quota drawing.

Nonresidents will have the applicable moose ($150) and/or full price bighorn sheep ($150) preference point fees deducted from their license refund. Residents will receive a full refund of their license fee.
"No, DO NOT sell me a preference point if I am unsuccessful in the draw."

You DO NOT have to purchase a PP for either if you don't opt to. Just the non-refundable application fee of $15. My math is correct if I choose not to get the PP.