Best phone to spotting scope device

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Team,

I'd like to contribute with pics from our scouting trips and I see the posted ones of "phones being connected to spotting scopes". I did the initial research and it looks like there is a small number of options. I have a Samsung note 3 (personal phone) and a Iphone 6 ( work phone) that I could use. Looking to get comments on the best device and any lessons learned. Thanks in advance.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The S4 gear adapter is what I use. You could use both devices with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Phone Skope works great. .choose the phone with best battery life and camera and use that one. ..my galaxy S5 with 16mp works great, and yes, I prefer having an angled scope anyway, but I think it makes digiscoping easier as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
get the phone scope, it is small enough to leave on when in the mts. I like the angled spotter for that purpose also. If you call phone scope people, tell them your spotter and your phone, then you are set. Not cheap, but works great and is very durable.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Phone Scope also has an electric trigger bluetooth device so that you don't goof up the photos by pushing the button, I have not tried yet but have heard it works well. Good luck and God bless

M.Bird

Dec 27, 2015
I know a lot of people like the Phone Skopes.They are made for a specific phone and scope: if you never plan on changing, if you upgrade plan on purchasing another set up.
I have changed phones since filming this video. and have the ability to use other spotting scopes and binoculars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmSTDPrL4Qw

V/R
M.Bird

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
I've pretty much tried everything to get a camera or my IPhone to work with my Swarovski scope; Carson, S4, Swarovski, Tines-up, and Phone Skope. So far the best solution I have come up with is my IPhone 6 coupled to the Phone Skope as Ikeepitcold suggested. I wanted something that would work with my I-phone without having to take the case off the phone everytime I wanted to use it. None of the others would work with my phone in the case. The IPhone 6 also has a self-timer you can set for 3 seconds so you don't have to use a Bluetooth wireless shutter release to get shake free pictures...

Horniac

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
You are right, I don't have a case on my phone, so the phone scope works great. also great point on the delay. Go to settings in your camera mode, find timer and set it for 2 or 3 seconds and it will keep your pictures clear. I have the Samsung S5 phone / great camera and video.

This technology makes scouting so much fun, it is like hunting with your camera and you don't have to pack out the animal.

Took this pic a couple weeks ago from about 1 mile - with the 95 mm swaro spotter.

20160709_072309.jpg

sdriverbottom

Jan 3, 2014
South Dakota
Another trick I learn for clear pictures with an iPhone without touching the screen is using the ear buds that come with the phone. Click the volume + or - and it'll take pictures.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks for all the great info and lessons learned. I relearned a few this past week! Of note the S4 doesn't fit some of the newer larger phones. I went with the S4 only because that's what I could get my hands on. I had to modify the S4 to work with my Samsung galaxy Note 3 due to not enough vertical/up/down adjustment by cutting off the lower bracket/frame to allow the phone to slide down farther. I can definitely see the utility/ease of use with the Phone Skope vice the S4. Biggest lesson learned for me was being able to see ears and small movement on a bigger screen easier. I don't think without the bigger viewer I would have found this guy bedded in the shadows.

D4.jpg

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Thanks for all the great info and lessons learned. I relearned a few this past week! Of note the S4 doesn't fit some of the newer larger phones. I went with the S4 only because that's what I could get my hands on. I had to modify the S4 to work with my Samsung galaxy Note 3 due to not enough vertical/up/down adjustment by cutting off the lower bracket/frame to allow the phone to slide down farther. I can definitely see the utility/ease of use with the Phone Skope vice the S4. Biggest lesson learned for me was being able to see ears and small movement on a bigger screen easier. I don't think without the bigger viewer I would have found this guy bedded in the shadows.

View attachment 16968
Man, I'm right there with you. I'm using an S4 with an iPhone 6 and it doesn't work at all. I need about another 1/4 inch of adjustment to get my lenses to match up right. What I ended up doing is grabbing some expandable foam strips that are sticky on one side (similar to pipe insulation foam). I cut a chunck off and stuck it to the part where the eyepiece rests against the adapter. This allowed for the adapter to drop further down (lengthening my velcro strap) but still able to get tight. This fixed it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the foam somewhere in the hills. Next one I get will be a better one, but my issue is that I use two different scopes so I would have to have two adapters basically. Tried to cut corners and it didn't work so well. A scope with a bigger eyepiece than my leupold 50 mm scope would be just fine though.