Best packable bone saws

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem is what works for me and what I like might be something completely different for you.

The best one that I have found is the larger Wyoming saw II. It is light and flat enough that it will fit in your pack or you can strap it around your waist. It has both the bone and wood saw goes together quickly and you can replace the blades. There is also a smaller version but I have a hard time with it. It has a short stroke that I don't really care for.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I used the big Wyoming saw on our moose hunt this year. If you need that much saw it's a good one. It does a good job on wood too with the right blades.

The Gerber folding saws work ok for smaller jobs. If weight is an issue I usually go without a saw. I can cape and quarter game without a saw. I have a Havalon Barracuta that has a saw blade for it but I haven't used it yet. I sometimes take my Cabelas Alaskan Guide 183 knife. It has an S30V blade plus a saw/guthook blade that works well as a small saw.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
X2 what mcseal2 said about the Wyoming saw, the Gerber saw, and going without a saw. If you are going to cut antlers off an elk or moose, the Wyoming saws work really well.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I've gone away from having a saw in my pack for weight saving. There is nothing that I cant do with my knife. I dont hunt anything larger than elk sized game. Most pack outs are boned out meat. When I am closer and keep rear quarters on the bone I'll cut em at the knees.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I agree with all the above and I am very handy with a knife also and can do all with just a knife. I have had a few of those gerbers and they all broke in my hand or in a friends. My good buddy has the wyoming saw and it is nice but find we typically keep it in the atv or the truck. Still looking for a saw.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I love my Wyoming Saw. My buddy who is an engineer built me a carbon saw that weighs 3.1oz. They only problem is it doesn't break down.

I think with today's technology someone could come up with a lighter saw.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I use a small grizzly saw. Its light, maybe 7" long, slides in a small plastic sheath, and I've been using it for 10 years without an issue. I only use it when needed while in the field and have never had an issue nor see why anyone would...