Best mobile antelope decoy?

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
If you can get to the 80 yard mark undetected, flash the decoy at the herd buck. Sometimes, if you approach behind the decoy, into the wind, in a kind of semi-circle, it can set him off, and he'll charge inside 40 yards. They will usually charge toward your downwind side.

I have heard accounts of herd bucks actually coming in and butting the decoy, but I have never personally seen it.

Most of the hunters I know that kill a lot of antelope from ground blinds do not use a decoy. Or, if they do, it is a doe decoy.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Last edited:

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
How do you guys use decoys in a ground blind setup. Dad bought a full body buck from Flambeau last year when they were dirt cheap. However, we cannot figure out how to effectively use it. It is too bulky to really sneak within effective charge distance. So I am guessing it should primarily be used for ground blind setups.

Also what are some good tips on decoying. I have a large ranch to hunt with tons of goats on it but cannot seem to get in close enough for a bow shot. These goats are super spooky (not sure why we are the only ones with permission and can only archery hunt) so spot and stalk has been dang near impossible. However, I can get within 80-100 yds, just curious how to get those bucks to close in another 40 yards or so in order to stick one.
As far as decoying when using a ground blind, I would say leave the decoy at home. My experience has been when you set up a decoy near a water source, the antelope do come in, but circle down wind everytime. When they don't smell what they want to, then they get a little spooky. Your best bet is to set up on water that has been recently used by antelope. Leave the decoy in the blind. Or use the decoy to get to the blind if you show during daylight. If antelope are at a far distance they may see the decoy as a antelope going to water. This tactic has worked.

If your decoying to get a buck to come running in, your looking at a very short window of time. This is going to be sometime during September. Are you hunting with little or no terrain to use as cover?

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
Yes this terrain has some rolling hills that you can use to get in front of moving goats. It also has just enough to barely conceal one to about 100 yards then hiding behind really sparsely grazed grass isn't enough.

What should I look for when determining if the hot time is occurring? I am guessing bucks running each other off...also any other ideas to getting in close. I tried the ground blind on water technique but I cannot for the life of me figure out where these goats go to water. I will see them hit one hole one day and can be on the ajoining property water the next. How can I figure out what these goats are doing? Obviously it is a cattle ranch and the cattle hit water 2 times a day and wipe out a lot of the sign. It is frustrating, might not even give it a go this year. But we'll see when that time rolls around.

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
Yes this terrain has some rolling hills that you can use to get in front of moving goats. It also has just enough to barely conceal one to about 100 yards then hiding behind really sparsely grazed grass isn't enough.

What should I look for when determining if the hot time is occurring? I am guessing bucks running each other off...also any other ideas to getting in close. I tried the ground blind on water technique but I cannot for the life of me figure out where these goats go to water. I will see them hit one hole one day and can be on the ajoining property water the next. How can I figure out what these goats are doing? Obviously it is a cattle ranch and the cattle hit water 2 times a day and wipe out a lot of the sign. It is frustrating, might not even give it a go this year. But we'll see when that time rolls around.
Aggressive bucks, and single bucks with larger herds of does are key. The best time to spot and stalk antelope is actually not during the rut. The bucks are less aggressive, more calm, and much more esy to pattern. Based on the type of terrain your hunting, I would suggest you try out the antelope decoy from http://bethedecoy.com/. You still want to use as much terrain as you can to stay un-seen as long as possible. With the sun on the horizon, and at your back, you will be surprized how close you can get. When the antelope is looking at you, just stop and wait for it to relax and go back to feeding or bedding. When it does, keep getting closer. You also need to be able to shoot your bow out to longer ranges. It's worth a try. You can't do that with just camo. It's another tool to have.

Blind hunting is still your best odds of kiling a speed goat. Your just have to be willing to wait. While sitting in a blind you may only get one chance a day, but spot and stalking may give you many more chances during a single day. It's all what you like to do. Its hunting.