Best mobile antelope decoy?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Going to try spot and stalk antelope again this fall. What is the favorite decoy for being mobile and trying to lure in a goat? I know the Montana decoy is a good one, just wanted to see if there were some other recommended brands to look at before I bought one of those.

Adam

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
Feb 8, 2011
In my opinion, the Mel Dutton antelope decoy was the best ever made. It's too bad he quit making them. You can sometimes find one on ebay or random classifieds on the internet. If you find one, snatch it up quick, because I'd bet it will be a while before you find another one for sale.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Anyone have any experience with this one -

http://www.challengerdecoys.com/

Inflatable, so its lightweight and looks realistic. My main concern is that to decoy effectively it helps to try and sneak to 150 yards or so then throw the decoy up, get inside the comfort zone first, similar to calling turkeys or elk. Not sure you could do that with this decoy since it is so large when inflated and it seems impractical to be inflating and deflating it.

I may just make some out of thin plywood. The renzos are too tiny to hide behind and can be a little flimsy. I havent' hunted the montana, but the reviews I have read say they can be like hanging onto a kite in any kind of wind. And wind is a guarantee in antelope country most of the time.

Attachments

Adam

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
Feb 8, 2011
Doe Nob,
Making your own is certainly an option. Here's the one I made, as I couldn't find any Mel Duttons and I wanted something close.

Had a photo of an antelope blown up (as close to real life as I could get without having specific measurements) on a professional sign printer. Cut it out and then used some spray adhesive to glue it to two sheets of foam core board. Then I used the big paint sticks you can get from the hardware store to brace the whole back of it (prevent it from collapsing or breaking). Then tied in two straps, much like how you'd carry a shield and voila. A lightweight, sturdy decoy that looks like like the real thing.

Just a thought. Works well for me.

bullbuster

Feb 21, 2011
Soldotna, AK
I thought about doing the same thing with a cow decoy (moo cow). Anybody had any success with that angle? I think the Montana cow would be tough to walk with, but I like the concept (less intrusive?) The Renzo decoy material is available in 4x8 sheets and could be made to fold the same way.

Attachments

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I have the challenger decoy. It's not that realistic looking. So far no luck with it last year. I do like the ease of use(handles better than the Montana decoy, has a nice carry strap and you can actually hold it with your knee as well). I usually inflate it before a stalk and just keep it low and pull it out or use it as a blocker. But so far everything has ran away from it.

I had a buck in at 60 yards with the Montana but wasn't comfortable shooting that far.

I've been looking at this thing: http://outfoxedproducts.com/zebu.htm

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
You wouldnt catch me anywhere in the field with that thing on. I dont care if its archery season and on private land. My life is more valuable then trying to harvest a pronghorn with that thing.
Not any different than hidding behind a decoy with a real animal print on the front. I'm more worried about getting ran over by a speedgoat than being shot at.

Not any different than hidding behind a decoy with a real animal print on the front. I'm more worried about getting ran over by a speedgoat than being shot at.
To each his own. A little easier/faster to put down a decoy rather then strip down from that outfit. If it works for you and you are not worried about the nuttz driving around, then more power to you. I have no doubt the outfit works but I do have doubt of the safety. And that is enough for me to look else where.

Dan

Apr 13, 2011
Colorado / Wyoming
I am looking hard at the Moo cow from the link above - http://outfoxedproducts.com/zebu.htm - I have never used decoys before, so can anyone tell me what the antelope do when you start walking toward them with one of these things?
Hunting Antelpoe is my all time favorite hunt. My goal is to stick a nice buck with an arrow.

wby4life

Apr 15, 2011
Brookings, SD
In my opinion, the Mel Dutton antelope decoy was the best ever made. It's too bad he quit making them. You can sometimes find one on ebay or random classifieds on the internet. If you find one, snatch it up quick, because I'd bet it will be a while before you find another one for sale.
Guys:

I had the same problem about two years ago when I started archery antelope hunting. I looked all over for a Mel Dutton, but like Adam said, you can't find them anymore. I know a guy that knew Mel and he also believed they were the best made. At first, I tried the Montana silhouette decoy, but didn't like the way it moved in the wind (I hunt in SD...there is ALWAYS wind...ha).

About that time, I found that Flambeau came out with their version of the Mel Dutton called the "CommAndelope™". I have one of these and we have called in several bucks in the past 2 years (tagged one and missed one). I would strongly recommend it. I looks very realistic from mid-to-far ranges. Its not even bad up close, really. It can be setup or taken down very quickly (maybe 10 secs). It is light and probably could fit in a larger size pack (or strapped to the outside of), but its carry handle makes it really easy to "carry like a briefcase". I can't remember what I paid for it or where I bought it, but it was reasonably priced I felt. You can see what it looks like on Flambeau's website (scroll to bottom):

http://www.decoys.com/big_game/dcoy_big_game.asp#antelope

Also, I recently bought a couple Carry-Lite antelope decoys. I don't really consider these "mobile", per se, but they could be mobile enough to take them down and carry them on your back and go a mile or two to a blind setup. I bought them with the intent of using them around a ground blind setup when I am not being aggressive and going to the antelope with the CommAndelope (depends on time of year and maybe even time of day). Also, it didn't hurt that I got each of them new from Cabela's for $60 as they were discontinued for the new model (old model was $160). Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Last edited:

T43

To each his own. A little easier/faster to put down a decoy rather then strip down from that outfit. If it works for you and you are not worried about the nuttz driving around, then more power to you. I have no doubt the outfit works but I do have doubt of the safety. And that is enough for me to look else where.
Isn't it just a hat? I figure it would come off easy enough if anyone was around. Partially for safety and partially to keep people from thinking I had gone loony.

Stringmusic

Feb 23, 2011
Big Sky Country, MT
How do you keep from laughing when using it? I think I'd be out there giggling like a school girl.
The first time I used it, this group of antelope came walking right towards us. My friend and I were out in the open, so I didn't think it would work, but they just started coming to us. I keep saying "you have to be kidding me" over and over. I was laughing with surprise.

http://youtu.be/Im9GOJG8voM

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
How do you guys use decoys in a ground blind setup. Dad bought a full body buck from Flambeau last year when they were dirt cheap. However, we cannot figure out how to effectively use it. It is too bulky to really sneak within effective charge distance. So I am guessing it should primarily be used for ground blind setups.

Also what are some good tips on decoying. I have a large ranch to hunt with tons of goats on it but cannot seem to get in close enough for a bow shot. These goats are super spooky (not sure why we are the only ones with permission and can only archery hunt) so spot and stalk has been dang near impossible. However, I can get within 80-100 yds, just curious how to get those bucks to close in another 40 yards or so in order to stick one.