Best Hunting Gear

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
?

You want the best as in tried & true or the best as in most expensive?

You want mountain hunting stuff or just generic hunting stuff?

?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
there is no correct answer to this . get ten answers you are apt to get ten different opinions. and that is all it is opinion.

that said, here is mine.

the best hunting gear is DRIVE .

as in the WILL to succeed and the willingness to do what it takes to do so. study your hunting area . get to know it. spend every minute you can hunting . this does not mean just walking about get some good glass and let it do most of your walking for you. learn to walk quite instead of clomping about like most do. learn to work the winds. avoid skylining yourself. brave the weather , get away from the truck, don't be scared of the dark. learn all you can about your prey and their habits. most hunters never do these things and that is what separates the killers from the wanna bees. do these things and you will find success more often then not.

do these things . what you wear and what weapon you choose are of less importance if you can't find the game anyhow.

it is nice to comfortable and warm when hunting. I prefer thin layers to bulk so you can don or shed as needed.

can't go wrong with merino wool. imho! ;)

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Like the previous 2 comments, there is a lot of opinions and answers on this. The question was an open end general question. Are you thinking mountains or treestand? 2 way different approaches. I don’t wear the same stuff in a stand as I do mountain hunting, except my merino base layers are always on me. Nor do I need the optics I use for mountains in a stand. I don’t take binos most of the time in the stand. Mountain boots vs rubber boots. Lot of options!

Reactions: kidoggy

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, I'll respond as if the OP is seeking advice on gear for western big game hunting.

I have this rubber scope cover strap dealy; had it for almost 10 yrs. The rubber is still pliable; think it's called a 'bra' lol. It does sorta look like one. Anyhow, that thing was relatively cheap, and has done a great job protecting my scope lenses. Kinda a dopey piece of gear, but it serves a purpose and has worked well. It covers the lenses while your out stalking game and protects the lenses from scratches from trees or brush or getting affected by the weather as you're out and about.

It has a finger tab that lets you slip it off fast when you need to. I know I just opened a.can of worms there, but it's true. 😆

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Well, I'll respond as if the OP is seeking advice on gear for western big game hunting.

I have this rubber scope cover strap dealy; had it for almost 10 yrs. The rubber is still pliable; think it's called a 'bra' lol. It does sorta look like one. Anyhow, that thing was relatively cheap, and has done a great job protecting my scope lenses. Kinda a dopey piece of gear, but it serves a purpose and has worked well. It covers the lenses while your out stalking game and protects the lenses from scratches from trees or brush or getting affected by the weather as you're out and about.

It has a finger tab that lets you slip it off fast when you need to. I know I just opened a.can of worms there, but it's true. 😆
I have the same "bra" on all my rifles. It works, and is cheap. Plus, if you forgot your ammo, then you still have a rubber gun.
All of my KUIU and Sitka gear are top notch....pricey tho they may be.
One of my newest acquisitions is an AGC bino pack. Used it for a week in the mountains, and give it a 5*.

Reactions: Prerylyon