Best communication device for 8 day trip?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
I've read through all the other threads and there's some really good info in them. I still can't decide on the best option for backcountry communication. I'm doing a solo 7-8 day high country mule deer hunt and looking for a way to communicate with my wife back home who will be 7 months pregnant at the time.

Garmin InReach seems to be the hands down favorite these days but I dont like the rechargeable battery. I dont want to have to buy and pack a solar unit. I'd much rather just pack some extra AAs. Also, i have a good Garmin so i dont need the GPS.

SPOT doesnt really work because i need her to be able to get a hold of me.

I've considered renting a sat phone but since i do at least one mountain hunt a year i think I'd be better off buying a good unit.

What do you guys think? Have any good ideas? Or additional thoughts on the above units? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
My inreach will last about a week on one charge. I only run it at night for a short time to chat with the wife. I carry a battery pack to charge my phone, inreach and rino. I will skip the rino and use the AA adapter if I think I may jeopardize the ability to run the inreach on longer trips. It is all about watching the priorities.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I used my InReach and it has lasted 22 days in the field turning it on for 3 minutes every 24 hours.

If you need a daily communicator, reliable, two way........and the ability for her to get ahold of you 24 hours a day......then options/battery is gonna drive that. I don't see how your gonna get away from having a pretty robust charging plan if she needs to get ahold of you at all times vice you just checking in every 12 hours......or 24 hours.

On another note.......7 month pregnant wife would equal a SAT phone for me......better for her to hear your voice vice texting....which may induce bad communications, mis interpreted texts....etc etc :)

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I have the InReach and have never had to charge it on a week long hunt. I do not keep it on 24/7 but it usually stays on while I?m glassing or have a clear view of the sky in case a text comes in. Definitely turn it off at night to save battery. I use my phone with onX so I also pack a small solar panel and charger. Because I use my phone as a gps, I have also downloaded the Earthmate app and pair the phone with the InReach then text on my phone through the app. Makes it a lot more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk