Best Broadhead

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
I'm thinking about getting back into bowhunting , now that I have more free time. My archery pro thinks I should use a fixed-blade, cut on contact broadhead for elk. What are you guys using on elk???

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I'm using a replaceable blade, cut on contact head. (Wac'em) Never failed me yet on an elk hunt. However, realize there are A LOT of quality heads manufactured today that fly consistently, are extremely durable, and very sharp. There is no "best" broadhead anymore.

Dan4Elk2

Feb 26, 2014
I agree with BOHNTR with lots of good heads out there. I can say personally "Slick Tricks" Broadheads are awesome! I have been using them for at least 5 years now. With no complaints at all! I use the Magnum style. I have taken elk, deer with them. They fly true with your field points.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I've seen some lethal results from Rage 2-blade. The only expandable I'd consider using.

I was a muzzy guy for a long time, my dad uses the NAP Razorbak I believe they're called, 2 blade w/ 2 bleeder blades, cut on contact, with rotating technology, he's had some terrific results with it.

I'm sure there are a ton of great options out there nowadays.

No broadhead is going to fix a bad shot...

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
i haven't shot an elk with my bow yet but many whitetails and a few mules and i have used for the last 10 years are the tried and true 100gr 3 blade muzzys

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I shoot a Slick Trick Magnum, have been impressed with the holes and the blood trails. Before that I shot a Magnus Stinger 2 blade and never had a problem either, good luck in your search.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
NAP Thunderheads have been my brand for 12 years.

Never failed me. I have used several expandable BHs over the years on deer with great results. Even dropped a calf elk in it's tracks with a 2 blade expandable Vortex once (expandable was legal there), but I wouldn't consider an expandable on an elk again even if it were legal.
They lose a lot of energy and just don't penetrate enough. I feel like I got pretty lucky because that broad head was a wreck when I pulled it out.
I don't think they are legal for elk most places anyways.

For broad heads…. you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and get quality.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
I'm thinking about getting back into bowhunting , now that I have more free time. My archery pro thinks I should use a fixed-blade, cut on contact broadhead for elk. What are you guys using on elk???
Recently my brother did some broadhed testing (you know the kind on Youtube were they shoot a bunch of heads into different things) and it brought me to a realization.

The real question should not start out "which head is the best" but "what style of head is best for me?"...assuming your looking for one that will give you the most penetration.

First consider your draw weight and length.

Lower draw weight or short DL (<27.5) Just based on what I have personally seen I would recommend on a true cut on contact head (not a poke and cut head).

Medium draw weight or avg/short DL (<28.5) I would look in a cut on contact head (true or poke and cut)

Max draw weight or long DL...then it really boils down to personal preference.

I have compared three people shooting with varying DL and draw weights from the same distances, with the same heads, with the same arrow there is a difference in penetration. My brother has a 26.5" DL and changing BH from a true cut on contact, to a poke and cut to a expandable there was significant penetration differences when test shooting at wood and at metal. Granite they are not an animal. I have seen his penetration on the animals we have killed together and have seen what an expandable and a poke and cut head have done. When he tested the heads I saw how much more penetration he achieved shooting into a metal drum with a true cut on contact head. So, we have switched him over to one (Wac-ems') and hopefully by the end of this years season I can report back if my hypothesis is correct.

Just something to think about. I have never read anyone talk about this kind of thinking...so I thought I would throw it out there.

Hoythunter28

Feb 15, 2014
I have really liked the slick tricks, I shoot the 125 Grizz trick 2. I really like the way the fly like my field points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
100 grain slick trick standards for me. My #1 arrow has been through two whitetails and a bull elk. Just file the point and sharpen the blades on a KME.

I experimented with VPA Terminators last year but that aren't as accurate at long distance as slick tricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Good expandable broad heads will work great on elk. I have taken elk with both and it just boils down to preference and legality. There are gobs of fixed and expandable options out there that are all as good or better than what we had available 20 years ago...

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I am using the QAD exodus with the swept back blades. But can't go wrong with a majority of fixed heads.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I have only killed one animal, pig, and that was with 100gr. Thunderhead. I do have the S30V broadheads from Solid Broadhead Company but haven't had the opportunity to kill anything yet. Also have the Toxic broadhead, but again, haven't killed anything with it yet.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Thunderhead may be the best broadhead on earth but I had some issues with accuracy using them. I killed my first 7 whitetails with them using my recurve. I just never had any luck getting them to shoot accurate in a compound

Springville

Feb 27, 2014
utah
I did extensive testing last year on broadheads.
We shot 5 different fixed blade heads over 100 times each.
We tracked accuracy, and penetration.
We also attempted to look at durability, but they all were good in this area.
The 2 broadheads that stood out in accuracy and penetration were:
-Wacem
-Slick Tricks.

Shuttle T were a close 3rd, as they were very accurate, but lacked a little in penetration and initial sharpness.
However, I have killed animals with 7 different broadheads, and they seems to all work pretty good:)

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I prefer Magnus buzzcuts and have never had any issues. Like stated there are a lot of good heads on the market.