Best boots for early archery hunt

win264

Feb 17, 2014
I'm looking for some advice on what you are using or recommend for an early archery elk hunt in Wyoming wilderness.
I hear a lot about Lowa, good for stalking, and has to have excellent traction.

Thanks for your help

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I love my lows tibets. They still get a little hot in the really early season but I don't know what boot doesn't really. I have zero complaints with the traction and take them off when stalking in close if I feel the need. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. It really just depends what I'm stepping on and how hard the wind is blowing.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
W264,
Last 5 years we have been wearing Kenetrek Bridger highs for the archery muzzleloader hunts. I personally like the cross training/med ankle height type boots for the hunts that cold isn't an issue. I put a lot of miles in em and packed out a fair number of elk and they performed well in all terrain up in NW Colorado.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Lowa Tibets for me as well. I recommend you try several different brands and find the one that fits your particular foot the best. I have also had a pair of Asolo's before that I really liked. Go to a store if you can and talk to the experts. R.E.I. Is a good one to at least listen to what the hiker guys can tell you. As for stalking I don't think any boot with stiff soles(good hiking boot) would be great for stalking in, unless like tdcour said it's windy or soft grass or something. These boots are designed to limit foot fatigue in steep terrain, along with good traction, so when getting in close you may want to slip them off and go in with socks only.
The soles on the Tibets are really aggressive and don't slip in my experience. Good boots!

300bee

Dec 10, 2015
I love my lows tibets. They still get a little hot in the really early season but I don't know what boot doesn't really. I have zero complaints with the traction and take them off when stalking in close if I feel the need. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. It really just depends what I'm stepping on and how hard the wind is blowing.
I have pulled my boots off more than once over the years to get closer and it can be tough on your feet some times.
Here is an alternative you might consider.
Check out the link below.

https://www.crookedhorn.com/store/archery-accessories/safari-sneakers-detail.html

win264

Feb 17, 2014
Thank You for the information, it helped tremendously! Lowas Tibet and Renegade are on my short list, also I've read a lot about the Meindl boots as well.

Shoe buy.com has a 30% off sale plus free shipping and exchanges, I'll probably take advantage of the discount, pretty hard to pass that up.

Thanks

highcountryhoy

Jan 16, 2016
Southern, Utah
I wear the same boots for hunting that I wear for work, because it's not uncommon for me to put 30 miles on a pair in a week doing backcountry power pole inspections. I SWEAR by Merrells. They aren't known so much by the big hunting folks, but I've yet to find a boot that matches them in weight, grip, water resistance and breathability. I'll never use another boot for any type of hiking.

Awise1

Mar 17, 2011
N. Calif
I wear the same boots for hunting that I wear for work, because it's not uncommon for me to put 30 miles on a pair in a week doing backcountry power pole inspections. I SWEAR by Merrells. They aren't known so much by the big hunting folks, but I've yet to find a boot that matches them in weight, grip, water resistance and breathability. I'll never use another boot for any type of hiking.
Which Merrell is your choice; is it the Moab hiker?

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
Salomon 4d2 GTX are on my list this year. Brother has them and loves them as do a lot of guys on other forums. Just another one to think about.

Hunteastwest

Dec 4, 2015
Western PA
Check out the Merrell Capra hikers. They aren't the greatest for ankle support, but are light and have good traction. I wore mine on many hunts in several states and have no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
i have lowa tibets as well but don't consider them "early season". They are a half size bigger in order to accomodate sock liner and heavy wool socks. I have lowa renegades that I wear for antelope hunting or just hiking in general.

win264

Feb 17, 2014
i have lowa tibets as well but don't consider them "early season". They are a half size bigger in order to accomodate sock liner and heavy wool socks. I have lowa renegades that I wear for antelope hunting or just hiking in general.
I'm thinking along the line of light and quiet for early, how are the renegades for walking on sharp rocks etc?

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm thinking along the line of light and quiet for early, how are the renegades for walking on sharp rocks etc?
I think Lowa's are excellent boots. I have the tibets, low renegades and mid calf renegades. The Lowa's fit me very well and I know what kind of fit i'm going to get staying with the same brand. I have actually hunted in the low renegades but I mostly use them for hiking and I actually wear them to work when snow is on the ground (as opposed to a casual shoe). The renegades should hold up well in rocks or scree. Thinking more about it; I might wear my tibets if I was on an above timberline hunt or lots of scree. You might also look at the lowa ranger. Its a boot that sits between the tibets and renegades.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Lowa renegades are a soft boot. Very nice for hunting the forest or areas of dirt and sticks. They don't come close to a stiff sole boot like a cevedale or Tibet on rocks. I recently went thru 2 pair of renegades and a pair of Salomon quests. After a cpl miles in rocky antelope country in eastern Oregon I swapped out the quests for cevedale. No comparison. The cevedale pro have an upper that is more flexible than a Tibet but a solid sole.
If you want a hiker the renegade or quest are great but all mine leaked like a screen door. The cevedale pros were a much better boot for support but leaked faster than the renegades.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I can't say enough good things about Hanwag Alaska GTX's. They are a solid boot, that allow me to pack a very heavy load, while at the same time, they aren't so heavy or bulky that my feet get hot in them. They don't leak, and the breath pretty well.
I'd love to be able to wear a ultra lite boot for early season hunts, but I value the ankle support of a heavier boot too much.
My favorite part about them though, is how easy they are to slide on/off. I hate struggling to jam my feet into boots, and I hate pulling muscles, trying to pry boots of my feet. None of that ever seems easy in a tiny tent, when it's cold and everything around you is wet.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
All the boots mentioned in this thread are probably good ones. Like a lot of things, you really need to try different ones out to see what fits YOUR foot and not go off a recommendation. Case in point... I really wanted to try some Lowas since they come highly recommended but for whatever reason they do not fit my feet right so I won't be buying any, ever. Kenetrek & Asolo are my boots of choice right now but thats because they fit good and I've had time to put some miles on them confirming they are the right boot for me. I have a high arch and high instep. Long skinny boney feet, LOL! If you find a few that fit well, then you can get some good recommendations about how they perform in the field.

Velvet muley

May 17, 2015
Nevada
I have tried quite a few pairs of boots and most of the ones mentioned above. The best, hands down I have found for early season are the Crispi Idaho's. Light, SUPER comfortable and breathable. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I have the lowa renegades and asolo fugitive gtx both boots work well for me if its going to be more rocky or if I plan on packing more weight I usually choose the asolo. but when not packing much or just hiking the renegades are whats on that day. like wapitibob did say I did have a pair of renegades that leaked badly,i returned them got another pair and this pair still good after 3 seasons. REI told me for some reason it seems that lowa had some bad runs on the renegades