Berry Bullets - pistol loading

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I shoot in a weekly Bulls Eye Pistol League. My centerfire is a S & W Target Masterpiece in .38 special. I reload all my own loads. I normally use Speer Bullets, but havn't been able to get any recently. Some of our shooters use Berry Bullets (a copper coated lead bullet ((not jacketed)). I use 148 gr hollow based full wadcutter. I use 3.5 gr of Titegroup powder (700 fps).

Last night I got some strange results from the load. I appears the copper coating peeled off some of the bullets causing a very unusual hole in the paper target.
Anybody use coated Berry Bullets and have seen this problem?385063850738508

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Man that's wild.

Looks like Berry's recommends that loads not exceed 1000 fps, which you are under by quite a bit.

Some recommend only using lead loading data.

I found this on gunbroker's forum:

quote: Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Tell Mr. Berry to send me some to try! If the keyhole cuts the bullseye on my target I'm calling it a win for the good guys!
I need all the help I can get. haha

On a more serious note though do you think that you have a cylinder alignment issue thats "peeling" some of the bullet coating?
I would mark my cylinders and see which one it is doing it from. If its random then I guess I would look at the bullets? Not an expert just where I would start if I was scratching my head.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have 1 cylinder in my 5 shot tarus tracker .44 that throws bullets 4" to the left at 10 yards with my cast bullets and makes a strange sideways shaped hole. I never really cared though because I figure if I ever use it the perpetrator or bear will be much closer than that and if the bullet doesn't hit them the muzzle flash will blind them and the blast will certainly blow both of our eardrums out. lol

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
On a more serious note though do you think that you have a cylinder alignment issue thats "peeling" some of the bullet coating?
I would mark my cylinders and see which one it is doing it from. If its random then I guess I would look at the bullets? Not an expert just where I would start if I was scratching my head.
good idea!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Talked to Berry Bullets today and they said that the copper coating was peeling off. I sent them the pictures I posted here. After discussion, they think I am seating the bullet too deep. I seat the bullet with a slight roll over the bullet with the case crimp. That is what is peeling off the copper. I am going to adjust the seating die and we will see if it solves the problem. I am also going to use a different gun so I can eliminate any problems with the particular gun that I was using when the problem started,

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonecollector