Being optiMoostic

lperrett

Aug 12, 2012
Rapid City, SD
So I dove in with my 20 NR points. Hoping to get out of this chaotic preference point race. Last year it took 18 years for 100% draw success for the unit I applied for. A question I have to this group is: How tough is the moose hunt with archery equipment? Can a guy get into 50 yards consistently? I've killed a few elk with my bow and assume this setup will also do the job on moose. Getting towards the top end of the middle aged group so this will be my first and likely last moose hunt ever, so want to make the most of it. Once again just being hopeful on the draw results. Cheers.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So I dove in with my 20 NR points. Hoping to get out of this chaotic preference point race. Last year it took 18 years for 100% draw success for the unit I applied for. A question I have to this group is: How tough is the moose hunt with archery equipment? Can a guy get into 50 yards consistently? I've killed a few elk with my bow and assume this setup will also do the job on moose. Getting towards the top end of the middle aged group so this will be my first and likely last moose hunt ever, so want to make the most of it. Once again just being hopeful on the draw results. Cheers.
I personally think moose are easy to approach compared to elk and deer. Nice thing about Wyoming is you can try with the bow and then come back during rifle if needed. Your archery elk setup should be fine on a moose. I would recommend hunting early season at high elevations. That first week of September the moose are pretty visible. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

lperrett

Aug 12, 2012
Rapid City, SD
I personally think moose are easy to approach compared to elk and deer. Nice thing about Wyoming is you can try with the bow and then come back during rifle if needed. Your archery elk setup should be fine on a moose. I would recommend hunting early season at high elevations. That first week of September the moose are pretty visible. Good luck and please keep us updated!
Sounds good. Just waiting for the draw in early May. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
You will be able to do it, Moose have terrible eysight. Keep the wind in your favor and it will happen. Good luck in your draw!

Reactions: lperrett

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Never killed a Moose out west. But I did walk up on a couple monsters one year in the dark.....and they were not happy about me being there....never seen a moose act like those ones. But they were NOT joking around. Which really surprised me. lol

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I killed a Moose in WY with archery equipment. I've been on a couple other archery hunts with people with a bow. It's not very hard to get close to moose. Like stated keep the wind in your face and you'll make it happen. The hard part is packing one out solo.