bear spray

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Will be purchasing some bear spray and should I be carrying the spray on my belt or purchasing a chest holder?
Thank in advance on any assistance the group can give me,
Happy Trails,
Gman

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Personal preference. It's more important to practice getting it out than where it actually is. I've carried it both places and personally find on my belt is my preference but YMMV.

Practice with it. A charging bear can run 35-50ft a second. If that's how close it is, that's how long you have between "should I?" and "now it's just a condiment".

Wind carries it a surprising way. UDAP recommends actually shooting a half-second practice burst to get a feel for how it works. Ask me about the time I did NOT walk far enough away from camp when I did!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Bear spray does expire. Some cans of more recent manufacture have an expiration date on the can. Pressing the button on your can of bear spray and getting only a fizzing sound or nothing, has to be maximum pucker factor!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Much of what works best for you depends on what else you are packing. I put the bear spray on my pack belt when hiking with a pack, as I also have a bino harness on also. Practice rapid deployment with your buds including removal of the safety tab. You are more apt to execute what you practice. I carried mace or OC on the job for over 30 years, and don't suggest that you practice with the same canister that you carry. Instead, practice when you buy a new can, and deplete the old can when you use it. Leakage is not your friend.

Reactions: taskswap

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I know this is a question some people may not jump to answer but I was wondering if anyone has accidentally sprayed themselves with this stuff before?

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I know this is a question some people may not jump to answer but I was wondering if anyone has accidentally sprayed themselves with this stuff before?
Years ago on an elk hunt the group was practicing on how to use the cannister and the wind changed direction and one of the guides standing on the far end of the group got a little spray in the air which put him down on his knees and blinded him for awhile.
Not something to mess with!!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Doing the test spray on our canisters almost 20 years ago my friend got a little bit blown back in his face off the ground. He had snot rolling out his nose and uncontrollable tears, eyes swelled shut for probably 20 minutes, he didn't even take a direct shot.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I did a test, you would be amazed at how far the can DOES NOT shoot. this is an up close and personal defense.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Yeah I agree. I think everybody that carries this stuff should do the quick test-shot UDAP and others recommend. "The bear is charging me now" is NOT the time to practice and learn how it sprays...