Bear hunting tips

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
So it's looking like the odds of me drawing out are slim to none. So I'm going to fall back on a bear hunt . Even if I do draw out I'm still getting a bear tag. Never the less I want the best odds of punching my tag and I need all the help I can get.

The unit and state is bear unit 2, new Mexico. There's no baiting and I dont win dogs.

Please Help.

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Oh! Forgive me, new Mexico only has a fall season. Bow is September 1-24 bow and September 25 - November 15 any legal.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am in Idaho and don't know much about new mexico but gut pile is a good idea. also ,in the fall find the berries ,find the bear??????when you are in an area with lots of berries ,look for fresh bear turds . if you are seeing that ,odds are good on finding a bear. if possible ,get to a good glassing spot and hope yogi gets his berry on.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Same as Colorado here.

If you want one that eats well.....focus your areas on where they are eating.

Focus on the oak aspen line. Some bears stay in the oak all year. 90% of the diet is fruit nuts, grass and plants. 10% small mammals.
Look for the service berry, choke berry, squaw apple at the lower elevations and slightly higher than that cow parsnip. In the fall berries and mast ( acorns) is what they want. Ants ,wasps bees and termites will get them roughing up the ground and turning over rocks. Its real obvious your in a good spot when you walk in a nice open park and all the rocks are rolled over once.

If you go up to the spruce fir line you are too high in my opinion.

I tried the rabbit in distress call once....it was unnerving. If you want to try that id recommend a tree stand and a tube running down to the ground and call into the tube.

The area I elk hunt has all those feed items I mention above and its very obvious what slopes the bears like.

Arrowed this boar last year and he is eating just plain awesome. Lastly if you can get some trail cams up, they really helped find em or eliminate spots

20190911_110304.jpg

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Um there's not many berries where I hunt. Some yucca, pine nuts, and acorns though. So I'll attempt to adapt your advice to that. Please keep the advice coming. I'm a terrible hunter.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Quite possibly the best thing that you can do is to find a high spot, get the binoculars and spotter out and glass until your eyes bleed

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't discount the use of predator calls either . they are effective . though it can be spooky when a bear comes a sneeking in.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Um there's not many berries where I hunt. Some yucca, pine nuts, and acorns though. So I'll attempt to adapt your advice to that. Please keep the advice coming. I'm a terrible hunter.
JD do some studying and call the conservation officer for the area. They can tell you what they are eating.

Firstblackbear2020

Jul 12, 2020
Same as Colorado here.

If you want one that eats well.....focus your areas on where they are eating.

Focus on the oak aspen line. Some bears stay in the oak all year. 90% of the diet is fruit nuts, grass and plants. 10% small mammals.
Look for the service berry, choke berry, squaw apple at the lower elevations and slightly higher than that cow parsnip. In the fall berries and mast ( acorns) is what they want. Ants ,wasps bees and termites will get them roughing up the ground and turning over rocks. Its real obvious your in a good spot when you walk in a nice open park and all the rocks are rolled over once.

If you go up to the spruce fir line you are too high in my opinion.

I tried the rabbit in distress call once....it was unnerving. If you want to try that id recommend a tree stand and a tube running down to the ground and call into the tube.

The area I elk hunt has all those feed items I mention above and its very obvious what slopes the bears like.

Arrowed this boar last year and he is eating just plain awesome. Lastly if you can get some trail cams up, they really helped find em or eliminate spots

View attachment 30084
I know you posted this a long time ago, but if you are still on here, do you have any advise or ideas for a good spot in Colorado’s GMU 62?

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
if n m bear 2 is same as 2 b deer,i had that tag last year,,didnt see bear,but id say to find a good waterhole ,,thats where i seen most of the activity

Reactions: Firstblackbear2020