Bear bait

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I don't know anyone who does but I don't doubt that it would work fine. Bears sure like dog food. Careful though, you might attract in more lions and bobcats. ;)

Reactions: gonhunting247

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
Nice! I knew people used dog food but couldn't find anything on cat food. I've used popcorn in the past and it has worked good but want to use something with more substance

lang

Nov 11, 2013
No doubt it will work...every kind of food will work if you have good scent out to get them to it. We usually pack a literal ton of feed each spring to keep up with our two bait sites so cost is a big factor. We have used sweet cob for years because we can get it for $10 per 55lb bag. I haven't priced much cat food, but would imagine the cheapest is over twice that price.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
According to how badly the bears try to tear up my deer feeder in my back yard, I would say deer corn with molasses dripped on it might be the ticket.....

Never baited in a bear, on purpose.

Reactions: Winchester

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I can get a 25 lb bag of cat for 5.25. Pretty cheap. I already got some sweet feed. Trying to get a variety of bait with substance to try to hold big bears at my baits. I have no problems keeping the little ones hitting my baits, but the big ones hit and clean me out.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I can get a 25 lb bag of cat for 5.25. Pretty cheap. I already got some sweet feed. Trying to get a variety of bait with substance to try to hold big bears at my baits. I have no problems keeping the little ones hitting my baits, but the big ones hit and clean me out.
Secure some of the really smelly food in secure drums with holes so they can smell it and can’t get into it. Obviously these need to be anchored to a tree

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Secure some of the really smelly food in secure drums with holes so they can smell it and can’t get into it. Obviously these need to be anchored to a tree
Good Info there keeping the smell there is a main thing. ALSO if you fish use leftovers after filleting it to put near the bait site. That smell will draw them in as well.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Good Info there keeping the smell there is a main thing. ALSO if you fish use leftovers after filleting it to put near the bait site. That smell will draw them in as well.
Thats what my canadian buddies do with all their fish. They are constantly fighting the vultures so they throw brush on top of the guts or use other methods to keep the fish from flying away.

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Thats what my canadian buddies do with all their fish. They are constantly fighting the vultures so they throw brush on top of the guts or use other methods to keep the fish from flying away.
We had ours in buckets in side the barrels that were laid down. Seemed to keep the birds out of it. The guide also knew a farmer that was butchering chickens that week and got all the carcasses. That was a good option to.

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
I think the ticket is get them in with a scent and they’ll eat anything, heck they climbed in my ground blind and tried eating my scent away bottles I left in there, hmmmm is it really scent free lol, in think they are very curious creatures and if there is food there gonna eat !!

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
ive heard of cooking up marshmellows,bacon grease and rasberry jell-o gelaton till it smokes,,suposed to be like a magnet