Back country tents

younghunter21

Mar 7, 2012
I am looking for a reasonably light tent that I can pack in with me. I am looking for a couple of the following things in it.

atleast 2 vents
a reasonable vestibule
under 4 lbs.
has a rain fly
one man tent

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Your opportunities are endless.

Big Agnes ul1 ul2 fly creek
Tarptent
Paratarp
Golite shangr la 1,2,3
Nemo has a few stellar tents as well.
Search rei and filter your parameters

Also do some searches on here, you should turn up quite a bit of info

I personally am going with golite sl3 upon recomendations from fellow forum members and stellar reviews.

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
I was in the same predicament as you; wanted a sub 4 pound 3 season tent for under $150. Went to my local base camp and they had just gotten in a Terra Nova Wild Country Zephorous 2. It weighs 3.5 lbs and is essentially a huge bivvy with a vestibule that surrounds the entire tent. Its really durable as well and I only payed $140 for it. I believe terra nova is a european company thats why you dont see them too much over here and are hard to find. Heres a place I found that sells them in the US http://www.altrec.com/terra-nova-equipment/zephyros-2-tent
Heres a forum that has a bunch of pics and reviews http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?v=1&urn=5&utn=46381&umn=
Its not the easiest to set up but you cant get much better or lighter for $140. If some one knows of a better option for the same price let me know, I still have over a month to return this one.

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
I just picked up the Eureka Solitare. I was in the same dillema as you, and decided to go with this tent after reading literally hundreds of reviews on it. I think that for the price ($65), 3 season, and under 3lbs it was hard not to buy it. I think that it will serve its purpose well during archery season.

Rock 2.0

May 31, 2012
Go to REI and talk to one of the camping guys, see what they suggest, have you thought about a bivy/tarp setup?

Pueblo

Apr 10, 2012
I had the Eureka Solitaire for years and it has been quite reliable and light at 2 pounds 9 ounces. I just upgraded however to their Spitfire 1, which retails for about $120. It's about 12" taller than the Solitaire making getting dressed way easier. It's still just 2 pounds 14 ou. Pack very small and seems to be even better constructed than the Solitaire.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I own the Big Agnes and I love it. It is a great tenet that is worth the money. I wish I could find one made in America and I would buy that but for now the Big Agnes gets things done.