AZ otc archery trip

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Since I had my license already and a few days of vacation to burn before the end of the year, I booked a guided OTC archery mule deer hunt in central AZ w/ A3 at the end of December. Didn't punch my tag but had a blast in some beautiful country. We got around 100 yards 4 out of 5 days from shooter muleys, wind was always just swirley or barely blowing, never got that consistent 5-10 mph in the right direction you need to make a successful stalk. Snow underfoot made for noisy stalks too. I was definitely too early as bucks were just starting to get a little rutty when I left, but it was when I could go.

Weather was pretty harsh too, one day it was 7 degrees, the last day we had 2 inches of snow on the drive out.

Sighted in at the Ben Avery shooting facility the day I landed in PHX - awesome facility.

Glassing some desert:

Hard to tell but ALBINO muley fawn here:

Amazing sunsets:

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Last day stalked over the canyon to opposite ridge after the fog cleared

Weak forks but big mass, wouldve been proud to run an arrow through him. Got 76 yards from him as he fed straight away.

Great time with good people. Didn't punch my tag but did just about everything but. Definitely a hunt I will do again if I have the time at the end of the year. The way my business works, damn near impossible to take off more than a day in January.

Farewell AZ!

WELDO

Jan 1, 2016
Yea just something about the desert southwest in the winter! Some really nice pics :cool: