Arrow Backstop

hoshour

Veteran member
What is the best inexpensive backstop for arrows?

I tried one of those archery nets, and even loose and doubled, my VAPs went through like it wasn't even there. I see where some people use stall mats but it seems like they would be really tough on arrows.

It's rare that I miss my block target by more than a few inches, so I probably don't need anything large, but just in case, I thought I'd go maybe 5x5 now that my grandkids are starting to shoot and I'm thinking about backing up to longer ranges. I'd also like it be easily portable so I can keep it in the garage.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I use straw bales. We can get them for $4-$5 and they last a few seasons before they break down. I usually use two per target, stacked to add height on a pair of cinder blocks, or a single turned vertically (but they need support or the wind knocks them over eventually). Best for field points like any target, but seriously DO NOT use a broadhead in one. It's never coming out :)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I center my block target on an old monster bag. If I miss the block target and the monster bag I deserve to loose my arrow lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I use straw bales. We can get them for $4-$5 and they last a few seasons before they break down. I usually use two per target, stacked to add height on a pair of cinder blocks, or a single turned vertically (but they need support or the wind knocks them over eventually). Best for field points like any target, but seriously DO NOT use a broadhead in one. It's never coming out :)
Whenever I used a broad head on straw I have always just pulled the arrow through to the other side or just removed the broad head since it was sticking out the other side anyway.

A friend in Utah uses the stall mats and has never mentioned any problems with the arrows and his daughter shoots hundreds of arrows a day at them.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I have used layered cardboard successfully and have a carpet that I hang loosely behind it in case of a miss - catches the arrows. Used to use a sheet of plywood.

I have heard about the stall mats before - tough stuff there.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
If you have the space, straw bales with a dirt berm behind. Mix some sand with clean dirt, even better. My berm is about 3' high.