Arizona Mule Deer - Archery 2015

nickpaolini81

May 24, 2012
Stoneboro, PA
Looking for some direction as to what unit to begin looking at (Google Earth) for a 2015 over the counter mule deer hunt in AZ.

We're DIY and will hunt BLM or Nat'l Forest. We've hunted New Mexico 3 times (archery mulies) and want to kick west a bit more.

Any opinions on units/areas of the state are welcome. Avoid, check out, can't OTC here.....anything. We'll drive anywhere.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Arizona is diverse desert habitat... You can literally pick any unit and find good bucks. I have been all over the place in many units and glassed up shooters. You would be best advised to pick a couple units that are close to one another and hunt them hard - Get to know the areas and continue to hunt them until you figure them out. The desert is tough and the animals hide well. If you are used to NM, then Az shouldn't be too much different.

The bigger muleys in all areas of the OTC units generally inhabit the flats in Mesquites, Palo Verde or Greasewoods - Best method is to get high and glass the washes and benches... Talk to a biologist and see where the monsoons hit hardest and focus in those areas, as green up areas hold more deer, because of more feed...

Literally all the units can be good, so pin the tail on the donkey and have fun.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Good stuff Graylight. As long as you are buying the AZ hunting license, start buying AZ points. Pick a deer unit where you can do some on the ground scouting for a future hunt for another species.

I believe you can combine javelina hunting with the archery deer season. I'm just starting to learn about that. I'd love to do that someday.

bcdeer

Nov 25, 2013
Prescott Az
You can combine the javelina with coues or mulies on the Jan hunt. Also bring a shotgun for quail and puddle jump ducks. I've done that in Unit 32 and had a great time. Good idea about buying your license in May and buy points for deer for a future hunt. Almost the whole state is OTC deer for archery deer, The exceptions being the Strip and North Kaibab units.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
I don't think you want to buy your license in May because you will miss out on January deer and javelin hunt, Az.hunting license run from January 1st to Dec.31 st, sorry if I read your statement wrong, or maybe you were referring to rifle season only, but if your bow hunting you will want to buy your license in the end of Dec.or January 1st.

nickpaolini81

May 24, 2012
Stoneboro, PA
We've hunted the Gila and the Lincoln National Forest 2X in New Mexico. We focused on the foothills rather than the real steep stuff for obvious reasons. I think we're looking for something a bit more rolling than steep.

However, we are willing go 8000 + if there is some talent up there. In your experience, in what terrain have you seen better deer?

bcdeer

Nov 25, 2013
Prescott Az
I don't think you want to buy your license in May because you will miss out on January deer and javelin hunt, Az.hunting license run from January 1st to Dec.31 st, sorry if I read your statement wrong, or maybe you were referring to rifle season only, but if your bow hunting you will want to buy your license in the end of Dec.or January 1st.
Good point on the license, I have a lifetime license and was only thinking about when we put in for deer and sheep. If he is only an archery hunter then you are right, wait until the Jan hunt or when he puts in for javelina. My Bad !

nickpaolini81

May 24, 2012
Stoneboro, PA
Bit confused. I just bought a 2014 license to get points. This license expires 12-31-14. How do I buy a 2015 license IN 2014 before we travel? I do not want to waste any time standing in a Wal-mart or some other Ma and Pop shop. Additionally, we are buying OTC deer. WHERE and WHEN can I buy an OTC rat and deer tag?

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Bit confused. I just bought a 2014 license to get points. This license expires 12-31-14. How do I buy a 2015 license IN 2014 before we travel? I do not want to waste any time standing in a Wal-mart or some other Ma and Pop shop. Additionally, we are buying OTC deer. WHERE and WHEN can I buy an OTC rat and deer tag?
You can buy them online later in the year. No worries.

bcdeer

Nov 25, 2013
Prescott Az
When you apply for Javelina you can get your license out of the way. Even though there are typically tags left over for "rats" you normally would apply for the draw to make sure you get your tag. They are a blast to hunt just a little challenging to cook sometimes but I'm sure there are some workable recipes out there. You would apply for the tag and your next years license i think around Oct

nickpaolini81

May 24, 2012
Stoneboro, PA
When you apply for Javelina you can get your license out of the way. Even though there are typically tags left over for "rats" you normally would apply for the draw to make sure you get your tag. They are a blast to hunt just a little challenging to cook sometimes but I'm sure there are some workable recipes out there. You would apply for the tag and your next years license i think around Oct
So sometime this fall 2014, I buy my 2015 AZ license. We want to hunt deer in the SE corner (unit 32). So I need to put in to draw a Jav 32 tag. If I don't draw a tag, then that means I will not be able to buy one OTC because the quota has been met. Is that accurate?

If I do draw Jav 32, then I can simply buy OTC deer for 32 and have be on my way with the 2 tags.

Do I have this right?

And all of this can be done online?

bcdeer

Nov 25, 2013
Prescott Az
You are correct and you will draw. If 32 is your choice let me know when you draw and I will tell you what I know about the area. I haven't hunted it for a few years but the hunting can be pretty good. I saw one coues buck that would have scored in the top 10 pope and young. I didn't see many muleys in my area but I can direct you to some areas for them

bcdeer

Nov 25, 2013
Prescott Az
I just checked, your Javelina tag will include 6 units and the deadline to submit is the 2nd Tue in Oct. I will be rifle hunting muledeer down there in Nov (I should get drawn) with my father in law. He got a 170 Muley this last year that was with 2 other nice bucks. I will have up to date info for you about the time you get draw results.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
Unit 32 is a good choice, and that is normally when I get my next year's license (October) is when you need to put in for javalina, archery deer is otc and that pretty much covers ,state wide, except for kibab and Units 13a+b like someone mentioned before, for rolling hills you will need to stay in the south end of the unit, and unless you go way south within 100 miles of the border is what I consider rolling hills in this state, cause the rest it's just less steeper than other areas. Hope that wasn't too confusing, lol made perfect sence to me.

Last edited: