Area 120 Elk advice

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I am planning a mid September archery elk hunt in WY Area 120 and I think I have a great plan in place but I feel like I would be missing the boat if I didn't take the opportunity to ask the forum if they have any advice before I head out. So, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I hunted 120 many years ago and it has lot & lots of private property. After a few days of hunting pressure, that's were all the elk went.
I'll second that Cowboy. You can drive by and see 150+ head of elk lounging around and bedded all day long, 100 yds off the road. On PRIVATE property. And that's where they stay for the most part. The outfitter on the private may hunt them with a client and may push some onto BLM or State, but that's a long shot. It's better to pay a fee to hunt. But I hear the fees skyrocketed as of last year.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I'll second that Cowboy. You can drive by and see 150+ head of elk lounging around and bedded all day long, 100 yds off the road. On PRIVATE property. And that's where they stay for the most part. The outfitter on the private may hunt them with a client and may push some onto BLM or State, but that's a long shot. It's better to pay a fee to hunt. But I hear the fees skyrocketed as of last year.
Is it that way during the September Archery season as well?

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Is it that way during the September Archery season as well?
I'm in the same boat as Cowboy, never archery hunted it. But private is still private. There's little cover to hold elk on the scattered chunks of BLM and State. The private land is where the water & cover is. Keep looking for access to private would be my advice.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I'm in the same boat as Cowboy, never archery hunted it. But private is still private. There's little cover to hold elk on the scattered chunks of BLM and State. The private land is where the water & cover is. Keep looking for access to private would be my advice.
Thanks Guys!
I do have a little inside information that I am hoping is going to make us successful but I like to get as much advice as possible.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
hunted that area a couple years ago for antelope,,,didn't see any elk but would think the northwestern part of the unit is more mountainy,,that's where id start lookin.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
There's plenty of elk in the hunter access areas during archery season. It'll be more crowded on the weekends. If yer willing to walk and use a gps, there's some decent chunks of deeded ground that can be accessed in certain parts of the area.