Archery Elk Opportunity Hunt Suggestion...?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
strongly considering a DIY archery elk hunt this fall, just not sure where...
I have points in most states that I probably don't want to burn, so 2nd choice or a draw somewhere like ID, NM, etc...maybe MT or other state and not burn my points.

would like to be successful harvesting an elk with the bow > holding out for a trophy bull...

would consider a rifle tag hunt....but have the feeling drawing that would be harder, and possibly lower success rate....more competition in the field than the bow.
or maybe just not a general rifle tag...

thanks for any insight/suggestions!

PS- do you think a bull in rut tastes worse than a a cow elk?
also if I were to take say a 5x5 270" elk, always thought I'd wait to shoulder mount something like a 6x6 300" bull... but maybe shoulder mount? maybe european? not sure of any other options?

Thanks!

Just looked up my pref. points,
I thought I had max elk points but I have 13/14, 1 less than max elk points, after a short look at the units etc... seems I could potentially DIY a pretty good unit for elk....probably couldn't go guided this year, but maybe in the upcoming years. really has me thinking... looks like the best units may take max elk points however...

also didn't realize I already have 8 Antelope points! think I could potentially have some good options for Pronghorn!?

I have max deer points.... 14, not really looking to mule deer hunt or diy mule deer this year though.

Last edited:

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I would suggest ID. NM is pure draw or you can purchase a landowner permit. MT is hit or miss with lot's of pressure or they hop on private.

For your first one unless it a really super nice bull do a euro mount.

Good luck!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
My insight...
Trophy depends on the person. I appreciate you calling a 300 inch bull a trophy because that’s a big bull for an OTC tag with limited experience in a unit. A 270 inch 5 pt would also be quite impressive.
I agree on euro mount for that class, they look awesome.
Of course I’m going to say Montana :) I love this place. Not easy to do but a fun adventure in beautiful country. Check out the breaks. You’re sure to see game. Harvest is up to you.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Unless you are going guided, I would shoot the first legal elk. You should just go and learn. Don't get your hopes up too high. I know peiple that have lived and hunted here all their lives and haven't killed a 300+ bull.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I can't say that I've ever eaten a "rutted up" elk, moose, deer, or antelope. I've been fortunate to kill five bulls (4 during late Sept. - mid. Oct.), and one cow (January, late season) and they were all excellent table fare. The best so far was the 5x5 that I shot this past Sept. 17th. The others were all 6x6, two of them past prime age. I have a cow tag I hope to fill in a couple weeks, and the WY friend who I stay with recommends that I shoot a calf, but I doubt that I will do so.
You can get an "any elk" archery tag in CO, but the areas that I am familiar with are either over-run with bow and MZL hunters, or it is a tough zone to draw.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Purely discussing table fare - The best elk I have ever eaten was a 300 class bull taken at the end of the rut. The worst elk I have ever eaten was my wife's cow she shot mid October. It was the lead cow in a herd of 60+ animals. She was like chewing on shoe leather but her burger was still good. I have had everything in between and can honestly say that the majority of the bulls I have had were every bit as good as the cows. Proper field care and aging are key.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Not setting your expectations very high are we?

Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Montana have OTC licenses available for elk. But going in blind into a state or a unit that you don't know is next to disaster when hunting for a "trophy", but then the word trophy is different in everyone's mind.

As for how they taste, my 343" bull was the best eating elk that I have shot. I shot him right in the middle of the rut. The worst one was a 2 year old cow, that thing wasn't worth turning into shoe leather.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Burn your points and go hunt.

You will probably run into more hunting pressure archery elk hunting then rifle elk hunting. Elk meat is always good as long as you take care of it properly. You will find very little information about general season hunts because if people share information on them that spot is ruined.

The best advice I can give is pick a spot and go. The worst thing that happens is you have to move to another spot to find elk.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Not setting your expectations very high are we?

Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Montana have OTC licenses available for elk. But going in blind into a state or a unit that you don't know is next to disaster when hunting for a "trophy", but then the word trophy is different in everyone's mind.

As for how they taste, my 343" bull was the best eating elk that I have shot. I shot him right in the middle of the rut. The worst one was a 2 year old cow, that thing wasn't worth turning into shoe leather.
Thanks for the info, think you may have misread what I meant...

at first was thinking an easy to draw tag for just any good tasting elk... archery ideally but open to a rifle hunt, was more interested in being successful harvesting any elk.... rather than a trophy monster etc...

but do have 13 out of 14 elk points in WY... so perhaps burning those points on a high quality hunt would be the way to go? just don't know at this point, or wait and get a guide and burn those points and try for a big bull next year or 2....

Can't you go guided in WY on a general tag unit...and go after a quality bull? in the wilderness?

Thanks for all the tips coming in everyone!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Utah's archery spike elk tags are either sex and are unlimited. There are also any bull units that are either sex. Most of the hunts are not too crowded after the opening or during the week.

Colorado's herds are dropping in numbers this is why there are a number of them that are going to a draw and bull only. But there are still quite a few OTC units that are archery either sex.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks for the info, think you may have misread what I meant...

at first was thinking an easy to draw tag for just any good tasting elk... archery ideally but open to a rifle hunt, was more interested in being successful harvesting any elk.... rather than a trophy monster etc...

but do have 13 out of 14 elk points in WY... so perhaps burning those points on a high quality hunt would be the way to go? just don't know at this point, or wait and get a guide and burn those points and try for a big bull next year or 2....

Can't you go guided in WY on a general tag unit...and go after a quality bull? in the wilderness?

Thanks for all the tips coming in everyone!
You can hunt guided on a general permit, and yes, that would grant you access to wilderness areas. Being in wilderness doesn't necessarily mean you will magically get on much better quality though. General areas, typically, see more hunting pressure making a trophy bull harder to come by. People shoot some giants every year, but they are a very small representation of what is harvested. Keep in mind, the general tag is taking around 3 points to draw right now. It isn't an over the counter tag. There are very few opportunities anywhere for an over the counter elk hunt, in an area where you have decent chance for success.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Thanks for you help/insight.
I'm kind of debating guided/unguided, also to burn 13 points on a quality unit and DIY or guided, vs, if there were a 2nd choice option, or otc/easier draw option somewhere.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Husky

Dont over look Oregon and maybe Washington for roosevelt elk over the counter if your just looking for a diy hunt. Lots of pressure in Oregon but at one time the only state with more elk was Colorado if i remember correctly