Archery deer area 231 dates

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
This is my first archery tag here and was wondering if I will be hurting myself by hunting the last week of the season? I could make the hunt anytime during the season but it works a little better for my schedule to go the first week of September. I will not be able to make a pre season scouting trip so it?s not like I would have a buck located to get on around the opener anyway. I?m sure they will have been bumped around a bit before I get there the last week of the season but will that be the only negative? Will the bachelor groups be busted up and bucks on that much less of a summertime pattern? Less daylight activity? I know it?s a great tag and the unit has some giants but anything north of 150? will probably get a stalk if the situation is favorable. I will have 8 days to hunt. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I would definitely hunt BEFORE they go hard horn, which is typically around Sept 5 in areas I have been. I am sure other guys better know when this will happen there. The moon is also dark on August 30.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
In my experience, when deer are just going hard horn, they start changing their patterns pretty dramatically and get much harder to hunt. If it were me, I wouldn't want to plan my hunt with that transition in the middle of it. The tag you have is pretty special and are very tough to draw, something like 5% with 10 points. Landowner tags for that area go for a premium. You are also hunting one of the best moisture years in the past 25 years. Just some things to think about to make the most of your tag.

Last edited:

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
I have not hunted 231 but have hunted next door Utah southwest desert go on google maps look for canyon peak ,government peak western part of 231 there is a burn area i have seen some nice buck in there

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
In my experience, when deer are just going hard horn, they start changing their patterns pretty dramatically and get much harder to hunt. If it were me, I wouldn't want to plan my hunt with that transition in the middle of it. The tag you have is pretty special and are very tough to draw, something like 5% with 10 points. Landowner tags for that area go for a premium. You are also hunting one of the best moisture years in the past 25 years. Just some things to think about to make the most of your tag.
That?s what I wanted to hear, it?s probably not worth the risk. Thanks for your advice!!

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I have not hunted 231 but have hunted next door Utah southwest desert go on google maps look for canyon peak ,government peak western part of 231 there is a burn area i have seen some nice buck in there
Thanks for the tip! I am still circling areas to farther research and that burn is one of them.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
It is a great area and there are some monster bucks in there but from what I know of the unit is it takes a lot of time and lots of scouting. Bucks can be scarce but are there.

I second hunting around the burn. That country has a lot of juniper trees and can be crazy thick causing it difficult to glass. Find seeps and springs that are off the beaten path with buck sign and set some trail cams. This will help you scout and see what’s in the area.

All great advise with what others have posted here, keep all of that in mind especially that when they shed their velvet he is a totally different buck.

Good luck

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
They changed the trail cam regs last year or so, read up on them first. 231 is the premiere Muley unit in Nevada. North of 150 can be small for that unit. And they do jump back and forth across to Utah. If there is anyway that you can scout it would be advisable, I see that it would be a challenge and expense though. Good luck and God Bless

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
I talked with the biologist last week and he reinforced the advice I was given to make sure I got there before they start shedding their velvet. He did say they may actually do that a touch later than normal this year because of a couple late winter storms. Either way, I won?t be taking the chance. Just a month ago I transitioned from shift work to straight days at my job which was much sooner than expected but now I have to use more vacation time for hunting trips. So I have only 2 weeks of vacation to hunt with and have decided to turn in my CO tag and use both weeks on this hunt starting with the opener on the 10th. 2 weeks will also allow me to be somewhat picky and hopefully find a better buck that what I was originally thinking. The biologist seemed to think I had a good plan for the hunt so I am excited about that.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I talked with the biologist last week and he reinforced the advice I was given to make sure I got there before they start shedding their velvet. He did say they may actually do that a touch later than normal this year because of a couple late winter storms. Either way, I won?t be taking the chance. Just a month ago I transitioned from shift work to straight days at my job which was much sooner than expected but now I have to use more vacation time for hunting trips. So I have only 2 weeks of vacation to hunt with and have decided to turn in my CO tag and use both weeks on this hunt starting with the opener on the 10th. 2 weeks will also allow me to be somewhat picky and hopefully find a better buck that what I was originally thinking. The biologist seemed to think I had a good plan for the hunt so I am excited about that.

Awesome! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada

If the biologist you spoke to was Ben Johnson you can be assured he knows his stuff about the area. We've spoken to him a couple of times while elk hunting and he was very nice and most helpful. Both times we ran into him was at the campground at Eagle Valley Res.

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
If the biologist you spoke to was Ben Johnson you can be assured he knows his stuff about the area. We've spoken to him a couple of times while elk hunting and he was very nice and most helpful. Both times we ran into him was at the campground at Eagle Valley Res.
I talked to Cooper Munson I believe his name was. It?s the number I was given when I called the main office and asked specifically for the 231 deer biologist. He was a nice guy, really helpful and told me to call back after I done some more research if I had more questions.