Application Strategy for the future

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
I was wondering if anyone would have some insight on this strategy...

I am trying to couple an Antelope and Muley hunt and last year when I went antelope hunting i drove through some awesome country to get to my Antelope unit near Kemmerer. So my question is this, would it be a good idea to try for a region G deer tag and hunt 135 near Kemmerer? How is the deer hunting around Kemmerer on a regular year? The antelope hunting looked awesome. I am a few years out, I just like to have a good strategy in place and know what I am doing rather than try and scramble at the last minute.

My main focus would be deer and then once that was over go after antelope. I am not real interested in overall score, I am just looking for a respectable buck from both species that would look nice on the wall and a great story to tell.

Thanks in advance for any help!

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
Here is my 2 cents. I would separate the hunts and go in two different years. Enjoy each hunt and take the time to find the right deer or antelope. Killing an antelope is very easy. Killing a big antelope is a different story. Region G is the hardest general area to draw and has really been hyped lately, up until this devastating winter. Reports are mixed, but they reduced the tags for NR's. Find a deer unit that takes around 4 points, and do the same for antelope and you could be hunting in WY every other year. I love WY and I have never had a bad hunt there even on a general deer tag. I see your from OR and I would gladly take a region tag in WY over a eastern OR controlled deer hunt any day.

Rich

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
My original plan was to go in separate years, as my points are not really in line with a combo hunt. I drew a WY antelope tag last year so I am at 0 there and at 6 points for deer. To have enough points to get an antelope tag in this strategy would be at a minimum 4, and that is at special draw and w/o point creep. That would put me at 10 points for deer by the time I was able to do this (which might be how long it takes for the deer to come back from this winter), however while having one of my "thinking" moments I thought it would be pretty cool to haul the camper over as a base camp and head up in the hills for deer for a week, then hit the lowlands for a goat and come back with a couple of trophys. If nothing else it would make for a great story, I just wondered what the odds are to take a couple of good animals in this area on a combo deal. No need for a record book animal, just a couple of animals that would look cool on the wall right next to each other with a cool story.

As far as Wyoming over Eastern Oregon, I haven't hunted deer in Wyoming, but I am guessing it is better than here, however E. Oregon not as bad as everyone thinks. There are great spots to hunt deer in almost every desert unit in E. Oregon, you just have to know where to go and being local helps! (btw, I am always happy to help point someone in the right direction)

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Colorado has antelope rifle season that overlaps with archery deer. A great time to chase both. The pickups get the antelope running on the first day but that leaves the deer sitting tight in the tall grass or the crops. Mild weather for the first week of October. The biggest problem is finding land to hunt on. The proximity of Denver and the front range population centers only compounds the problems of finding public ground with no pressure. The deer don't struggle with harsh winters like the western units and other northern states.