Anyone used the Berger 185gr Classic Hunter on game?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I just came in from trying these through my Rifles Inc 300 win mag. Results were very promising, I shot 3 groups 3 shots each at 100 yards. I let the barrel cool for an hour between groups. 8 of the 9 shots would have gone under 1/2", the ninth still stayed under 1". The odd shot was my fault. I put the Magnetospeed chronograph on the barrel and shot another 6 that hit an inch lower but also stayed under 3/4". Average speed for the 6 was 3058fps from my 23" barrel with only 12fps difference between the fastest and slowest.

My rifle does not seem to like heavier bullets. It shoots great with 180's but 200's opened up to 1" to 1.5" when I previously tried ELD-X and Accubonds.

Best part for me was that I did not have to change my zero from the 180gr Nosler E tips I have been shooting (that are now backordered). I really like this since it lets me choose between the tough bullet and rapid expansion bullet depending on the hunt. I really like that option in bear country, I can hunt with the E tip and swap bullets and switch to the other saved ballistic profile on my Hornady app if I need to dial for a longer shot. To 400 yards they are within 2 clicks of my Huskemaw from each other running the numbers. The E tip ammo I shoot is 2900fps, over 150fps slower than the Berger ammo. I don't take a lot of game past 400 yards anyway.

Has anyone taken game with the 185 Berger? If so please give specifics on range, animal, shot angle, and performance. I'm wanting to know how they kill before buying more and continuing my experimenting at longer range.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I shot my Spring Bear this year with Berger's 195gr EOL Elite-Hunter in 28 Nosler.
The boar weighted about 350lbs and was 200 yards away broadside.
One shot through he heart and he literally dropped straight down in his tracks, never moved.

Reactions: mcseal2

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
I shot a muley buck in Montana at 400 yds with the 168 classic hunter in my 300WM. Broadside hit behind the shoulder. Buck ran about 40 yds. Upon arrival to spot of impact i have never seen so much blood from a rifle shot. Biggest blood trail ive ever seen. entered small, and exit hole the size of softball. I just loaded up a bunch of 135 6.5 classics for a buddys upcoming antelope hunt. Ill post results later.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Have not used the 190, but did some testing with the 168.
Very accurate and kill quickly. My only complaint is all the skatered led and blood shot mess. Depends on situation when I use them.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be giving them a try on the muley hunt. The E tip bullets work well, but I saw a whitetail run about 120 yards without leaving any blood I could find after taking one through the lungs. He just sprinted off and died on his feet, but that could be a problem in the area I'm muley hunting this fall. It's pretty thick oakbrush with pockets, having one die in it's tracks would make me feel better. I really like the option to match the bullet to the hunt with both of them shooting to the same point of impact. When one is back-ordered I have a Plan B also this way.

Reactions: Bonecollector