Anybody ever hunted Big Valley antelope unit in Ca....?

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Here we go again...Was first alternate for a tag. F&G lady jusy called me to ask if I wanted it.
Have other good hunts planned that I drew for. Not sure if can afford it now.
It's hunt 750. Big Valley. 8 tags. 702 applicants and if I remmeber correctly it 56 max applicats. I was one of them. 100% kill with 10 tags last yr. I have to call here back by Mon. with answer. No pressure....Funny, have filled all 14 antelope buck tags in Wy. and one in Az. but hunting then in Ca. makes me nervous.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

I should of just said has anybody hunted antelope in Ca. ...

Last edited:

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I say take the CA antelope tag. I just don't think it is a tag I could give up. Of course I'm one point behind max :mad: so I'm in a totally different boat than you are. Good luck!

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I say take the CA antelope tag. I just don't think it is a tag I could give up. Of course I'm one point behind max :mad: so I'm in a totally different boat than you are. Good luck!
I'm leaning that way. Might take another 10 yrs. to draw one. I was the first alternate for the 8 tags.
I'm supposed to call her back by Mon.. If I was an elk tag I wouldn't even hesitate ! Have max pts. for elk too.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
For sure take it. With 56 max choice apps, the pool is going to be bigger next year so you might not draw it for a long time, if ever. Put those points to use and kill a dandy!
You are right. I felt lucky being one out out of the 57 let alone 702. Just don't want to wait another 10 yrs !
You guys are starting to convince me !

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Quit thinking and call the woman back and tell her you will take the tag. On the other hand if she would feel better she could always send the tag to me. Let me know if she needs my address. ;)

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I want the tag bad but it's other obligations and expenses of so many trips this yr. I haven't had any hits in my acount but if I draw an Az. deer tag too I'm screwed ! in a good way though. I can't call her until Mon.. Out of all Gov. angencies in Commiefornia, The Fish and Game office people have always been good to me. They have gone out of their way over the yrs. to help form calling me with mistakes on apps to changing tag choices after the deadline to fishing lic. never received. They are always pleasent and helpful. The don't screw you over like Az. G&F.
( I might need you address...):)

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
If $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the concern, I feel your pain. Just dropped out of a fantastic duck club because of it! Your call

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Here we go again...Was first alternate for a tag. F&G lady jusy called me to ask if I wanted it.
It's hunt 750. Big Valley. 8 tags. 702 applicants and if I remmeber correctly it 56 max applicats. I was one of them. 100% kill with 10 tags last yr. I have to call here back by Mon. with answer. No pressure....Funny, have filled all 14 antelope buck tags in Wy. and one in Az. but hunting then in Ca. makes me nervous.

Don't let the state fool ya, California holds some awesome Antelope. Your decision should be a no-brainer, TAKE THE TAG especially this year when water is at a premium out there. The Antelope shoud be bunched up in the vicinity of the available water.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Quit thinking and call the woman back and tell her you will take the tag. On the other hand if she would feel better she could always send the tag to me. Let me know if she needs my address. ;)
Hey sjsmallfied,
I got the tag this morning so you can let your breath out !
Dang, have been busy researching X12 and Wy. deer area 125 . Now this !

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia

Don't let the state fool ya, California holds some awesome Antelope. Your decision should be a no-brainer, TAKE THE TAG especially this year when water is at a premium out there. The Antelope shoud be bunched up in the vicinity of the available water.
Hey packer58. I called her this morning and left a msg. She called me back and I bought the tag. Got the time approved from my manager. He's not even a hunter and he said go for it. You may be waiting another 10 yrs. ! I hope I don't get drawn for a Az. deer tag now. Not enough money in my account and nor enough time ! The way my luck is going...

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Arizona has been charging cards since last Tuesday (July 17) so if you haven't had a charge yet, maybe you won't get one.
Umpqua,
The way your's and my luck has gone this year I'm not so sure ! I don't think they tried and I got rejected because of lack of funds because my bank will text me to tell mee while they cover it ( I hope) . They have done it before.
Haven't found anybody yet that has hunted it or Ca. antelope. Got a Az. G&F email. Said the draw is done but not done charging people. They can't post results until done.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey thanks to all you guys who replied to this thread !
I shot my buck opening afternoon. Almost pulled the trigger on him opening morning. If you guys are interested in the little story about it I sent the two Game Biologist's for Lassen and Modoc Counties and the enviromental scientist who helped some I will. Working on down loading pics now. He had good mass and prongs but length I miss judged . I'm not into scores or record books and would of shot him anyway. He was the best I saw and I had a whole ranch to hunt to myself. Ton's of deer in X3A boys and girls... nice bucks too.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Congratulations! Let's hear the story with pictures! I was a little concerned after I did not see anything from you about getting your goat. I read the stuff about lurking outside of restaurants to pick up their Wi-Fi signals, and your responding to most of the posts on this site, and I thought WTH, he must really be lonesome and not concentrating on the business at hand (LOL).

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Congratulations! Let's hear the story with pictures! I was a little concerned after I did not see anything from you about getting your goat. I read the stuff about lurking outside of restaurants to pick up their Wi-Fi signals, and your responding to most of the posts on this site, and I thought WTH, he must really be lonesome and not concentrating on the business at hand (LOL).
Saw,
LOL! Thanks !I got wi fi but no dam phone signal anywhere unless you had verizon...I think you told me that ! A couple good friends text me or would leave a voice mail to help with the lonesome part of it. I had to drive 8 mi. up out of town to the top of the mtn. a couple times a day to make call, texts, emails all that crap. pain in the butt when you don't have a phone that works...For you, I will post !

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Listen to you....no phone!!!!! I just love it when I'm out of touch, can't say the same tho for my wife. She says I too old to be hunting by myself and out of phone range too!!! Had to buy a SPOT to keep her happy.

Glad you had a good hunt. 2 weeks until M/L elk and then off to Wyoming for me. What I'm really looking forward to is hunting one of the premier units for antelope here in Colorado on my way home from Wy.Only trouble is it is only open for a week.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Listen to you....no phone!!!!! I just love it when I'm out of touch, can't say the same tho for my wife. She says I too old to be hunting by myself and out of phone range too!!! Had to buy a SPOT to keep her happy.

Glad you had a good hunt. 2 weeks until M/L elk and then off to Wyoming for me. What I'm really looking forward to is hunting one of the premier units for antelope here in Colorado on my way home from Wy.Only trouble is it is only open for a week.
Thanks CC !
That's funny. I had to stay in touch with my son who was holding down the farm ! Every time I'd get to the top of the mtn. my phone would go biserk with texts,emails and voice mails and I'd say WTF ?!? I'd be up there for a half hour dealing with them.
CC and Saw,
I posted a thread under antelope with a few pictures if you want to check it out.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Hey Saw,
Posted pic's in antelope section. :)