Any shortcuts to acclimating?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Any body know any ways to help your body acclimate to elevation faster?

I live at about 2,000' and every year when I go out I struggle for the first couple days. Ideally I would go earlier and give my body a couple days to acclimate before I start hunting, but it's hard enough to be gone for the travel and hunting time let alone add on more days at the start of the trip. Last year I spent the night in Laramie on the way out, so I was at least spending a little time above my normal. I've never had any issue with elevation sickness, but that's always a concern as well.

And, since we're on the topic, any tricks for training at lower oxygen levels?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thanks for link ki. The being in shape part isn't a problem. I was in the best shape I've been in in 10 years last year (I'm 37) and I was still slow to recover the first two days. After that, I was up and down the mountain without much problem. It's just frustrating those first couple days when you want to go, but just can't.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I live up at elevation and I don't believe that there are any shortcuts for getting acclimated to the altitude other than being here. I don't even think that the mask that limit your oxygen intake would even help but who knows.

I know that years ago when I had a blood test done the nurse at the lab gave me a phone call and wanted some more information from me. She asked me a bunch of questions and then she asked at what elevation I lived and worked. I told her that I lived at 6500 feet and worked anywhere from there up to 11,000 feet every day. She then said that she understood my red blood cell count. It was elevated fairly higher than a normal person would have. It comes from working in the higher elevations to get the oxygen out to my muscles.

Now after typing that I think that you could go in for a blood transfusion from someone that lives and works up here in the mountains, it might help.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Ginkgo Biloba.... may help.

I'd certainly try it, try it now to see if you have any reactions.
It's the main/active ingredient in some popular "altitude supplements"

You can rent or buy an altitude tent but that may be extreme.

I'd avoid training with any altitude masks etc...

I'd try the Ginkgo, and try to do some well rounded cardio. Look at a 5k plan etc... hills packs etc...
also think long slow run and shorter faster runs, also repeats like 800m x 8 etc... again look at a 5k training plan and they should cover the different types of runs.

even walking daily would be a big help.

eat fruits/veges at altitude, water, avoid alcohol and caffeine as much as possible.

good luck!

plain physiology is your body is accustom to sea level and will have to work harder to keep up with those living at altitude, I believe the stat is around 20% harder, so knowing this, I'd pace myself the first couple days, even pacing yourself you may find yourself saying I should've taken it easier!

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
From 0 - 3000 meters there is not much of a problem if you are in good shape you can go up in elevation fairly easily but above about that 9,000 ft mark things change for most of us.. 300 meters a day or 900 ft of elevation gain is just about all most of our bodies can do above 3000 meters and still keep acclimated or above 9000 ft it is either slow or painful going. With the bottom line of sometime you will have to rest.. Hydration will help but elevation is the equalizer.

Your body will be working give or take 30++% harder so loading the pack accordingly when training at your elevation is how the boys heading to Everest seem to train.

I live at just under 3000 meters and feel a big difference the first few times I head up to 4000 meters in a day or above 12,000 ft. Only way I get over it after 2+ weeks of with 3 days each week (min 4 hrs) at 12,000 ft plus.

If you can stop for a night at 5-6,000 ft it will help a bit but with elevation things just get harder.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Jim and Col V hit the high points....additionally.

The time to acclimate is directly proportionate to the chemical make up of your blood. You acclimate by having more than a normal amount ( for your body) of red blood cells carrying the O2.

I personally feel the only thing that works is.

1) Load your self up during exercise....cardio at 80% is great but I want to do cardio at 80% with a medium loaded pack and heavy on the cross fit types of workouts the last two months before hunting
2) Step up to altitude. 1st day at 6000 ft, second at 8000 ft then third at 10000 ft prior to the 48 hours before the hunt begins ( if scouting is complete)
3) A week prior increasing your red blood cell count by diet. Every little bit helps. Eating vitamin C rich foods ( fruits) will raise your absorption rate of iron from foods. Then eat red meats, organ meats( liver), beans, spinach....etc etc. Those same foods will also increase your folic acid(b9) which produces the red blood cells. This is an important part of the diet that people also overlook in camp IMO.....we make these foods that we like and want to eat and makes us feel good.....however if you adjust your diets in camp a little I think you will see a different result also in time to acclimate.

Time, exercise and proper nutrition is the only thing thats gonna work. I know the years I get it spot on cause my 20 year old wrestler will say " geez slow down a little" or " man you got up that hill quick". Lots of info on the interweb about the red blood cell stuff and as the Col V said its the way the pros tackle the Everest like climbs. Hope that helps.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thanks Slugz...lots of good info there! I had never thought about adjusting my diet to increase red blood cells. Definitely going to do that this year.

For those reading this thread that are training for their first mountain hunt, what Slugz and ColoradoV said about training with a pack and weight is absolutely key to being in the right kind of shape for the mountains. My first year I went I did almost all cardio, ran a couple half marathons that year, I was in good shape but the mountain kicked my ass. My legs weren't strong enough for all the up and down. Now I still run a lot, but I also run a lot of bleachers at our local small town baseball field, and I climb the bleachers with a weighted pack. I've found the bleachers actual build my legs up better than running hills. I would also suggest to any first timers that you find a good hill, pack your pack with 50-60 lbs at least and hike it before you go. You need to know what that feels like.

Thanks everyone for all the posts about acclimating.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Don't be afraid to take a rest day in camp also. Even a half day to recover helps out tremendously.
Other than boosting your RBC count getting here a day early would be my recc.
As you discovered Laramie is at 7,200 ft so just some town time helps acclimate.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
No, if you are prone to altitude sickness then you'll just have to deal with it. Some people climatize in a day others take several days. If you could simply stop for a day about halfway up to your destination altitude it would probably help most people.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
On our recent guided elk hunt in WY, my group of six spent a couple days in Jackson. It didn't help though that we all ate and drank too much while we were there. Luckily the hardest part of the pack-out was done by the horses and not on our backs. I just returned from a solo late season cow elk hunt in WY, and the elk were still on top of the mountain due to the minimal snow. I was able to take my time, step by step, and hunt all day with 2,000 ft. elevation change daily (6.1K to 8.1K). By day four when I shot my cow (on top of course), I was as physically adapted as I would ever be. Another benefit was that 8 days of snowmobiling the following week in much higher mountains went much easier than in the past. On an unguided hunt, I would suggest that you get to your hunt area at least a couple days before, and do some scouting. Keep it casual, and you body will adapt. I am 65 and it all stills works.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
The mask do not work. I've heard lots of water and a baby aspirin each day 5 days before the hunt and during the hunt.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
This thread has me curious. I want to start off by making it very clear this isn't meant as a boast in any way. More, I am interested if my blood count is messed up or me and my boys are some kind of freak of nature?

We live in Iowa. Elevation where we live is 900'. Last summer, as part of my elk scouting, I took my 8 and 12 year old sons with me into the Sierra Madres in WY. We camped one night at a lower elevation at Curt Cowdy State Park, then spent a few nights at Hog Park reservoir. We hiked a little more than 5 miles each day in the Medicine Bow, including a jaunt up a to a higher peak in there called Blackhall Mt. I was careful to keep an eye on myself and the boys, but we had no altitude issues that I could perceive. I think most of the elevation around hog park was in the mid 8s, and Blackhall was 10 and change.

I came back in October and spent 5 days in approximately the same area and also had no problems. I don't consider myself the most fit. I could benefit from working out more. I camped a little ways in off a logging rd and walked in to hunt each day, no more than 8 miles round trip in a day. Would we have needed more exertion to feel altitude issues? Is it mostly diet? Does ethnicity play a role ( I'm 1/2 Chilean-orher 1/2 is Italian from a region near the alps, genealogy shows my wife is mostly German/French, ancestors from near the Alps )

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Prerylyon,
I think diet has a big part combined with overall health and age. Genetic make up and metabolism rate play into it also but I don't know how much or to what extent. Some people also it just doesn't effect them as much. For me personally age is the big kicker. I'm 47 now and I exercise twice as much as I did when I was 37 to do the exact some hunts and feel the same.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
This thread has me curious. I want to start off by making it very clear this isn't meant as a boast in any way. More, I am interested if my blood count is messed up or me and my boys are some kind of freak of nature?

We live in Iowa. Elevation where we live is 900'. Last summer, as part of my elk scouting, I took my 8 and 12 year old sons with me into the Sierra Madres in WY. We camped one night at a lower elevation at Curt Cowdy State Park, then spent a few nights at Hog Park reservoir. We hiked a little more than 5 miles each day in the Medicine Bow, including a jaunt up a to a higher peak in there called Blackhall Mt. I was careful to keep an eye on myself and the boys, but we had no altitude issues that I could perceive. I think most of the elevation around hog park was in the mid 8s, and Blackhall was 10 and change.

I came back in October and spent 5 days in approximately the same area and also had no problems. I don't consider myself the most fit. I could benefit from working out more. I camped a little ways in off a logging rd and walked in to hunt each day, no more than 8 miles round trip in a day. Would we have needed more exertion to feel altitude issues? Is it mostly diet? Does ethnicity play a role ( I'm 1/2 Chilean-orher 1/2 is Italian from a region near the alps, genealogy shows my wife is mostly German/French, ancestors from near the Alps )

Regards,

Prerylylon, how high up were you? I don't usually notice anything until I'm over 9000' and then I just notice that it takes me a little longer to recover if I'm going hard like in a hunting situation. If I take my time, with a light pack, I don't have any problems. When I was getting after it to cover ground chasing elk last year I did notice it a little more. I did a 14,265 peak last sumer and did notice some issues on the last 1,000-1,500 feet, but that's to be expected.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Prerylylon, how high up were you? I don't usually notice anything until I'm over 9000' and then I just notice that it takes me a little longer to recover if I'm going hard like in a hunting situation. If I take my time, with a light pack, I don't have any problems. When I was getting after it to cover ground chasing elk last year I did notice it a little more. I did a 14,265 peak last sumer and did notice some issues on the last 1,000-1,500 feet, but that's to be expected.

Last summer and fall, mostly 8-9k', also spent several days around/just north of 10k'. In the past, my wife I and did some hikes in higher elevations of the San Gabriels and Sierras when we lived in Cali; also without issue, but that was 20 yrs ago.

Regards,

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Last summer and fall, mostly 8-9k', also spent several days around/just north of 10k'. In the past, my wife I and did some hikes in higher elevations of the San Gabriels and Sierras when we lived in Cali; also without issue, but that was 20 yrs ago.

Regards,

That's interesting. Good for you. If you figure out any specific reasons that you're able to handle it so well I'd be interested to know.