Any Mathews Shooters in the House???

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Got a couple questions for someone who's knowledgeable on Mathews bows... I had a couple Helims the last few years and really like them. I'd like to find another one but in my search I started looking at the Creed and also the Chill X.

On the Creed, I shot one at the archery shop when they first came out in 2013. I liked it almost as much as the Helim. I think the next year they came out with the XS which seemed to get some negative press. My question is, in 2014 did they make both a Creed and a Creed XS? I'm not real sure what the differences are?

I'm also interested in the Chill X. What are the big differences in the way these would shoot over the Helim & Creed? I should probably go to the archery shop and shoot one since I've never done that.

Of course the No Cam is a possibility too, but I haven't heard a lot about them and I'm not sure how it would shoot compared to the others. Probably more expensive too since they just came out.

I seem to always like Mathews so I'd like to stick with them and find a lightly used one on AT, rather than going to the archery shop and paying twice as much! If I did go to the shop, I would definitely shoot all brands just to see if anything agrees with me as much or more than a Mathews. I would feel obligated to buy one from the shop then and really don't wanna drop over $1,000 on a bare bow. Thanks...

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I am not well versed on the bows listed but can tell you that I bought the drenalin few years back then the barrage of new bows came out and every time I inquired about them, the owner of the shop seemed to think I had no reason to upgrade......I have heard a lot of good about the creed though from those that have them. The xs was the only 2014 I believe. I would say used would be the way to go if I were to ever change, but it will be a long time before I plan on getting another. Unless of course the airline decides to lose my bow again next year!!!

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I went from a heli-m to a chill x. Axle to axle is the difference; also the chill x is a double cam. The chill x is longer which in turn allows the bow to be more forgiving at longer distance. After buying the chill x I would never go back to a heli-m. This bow throws darts out to 80yds no problem. Go shoot one and see what feels good.

TK

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I bought the creed and used it for a year, but never could group really well. Arrows seemed to wander right and left, and my friend had the exact same problem with his creed. I sold that, and am happy with my hoyt Spyder. My friend traded his creed in on a nocam. That thing shoots sweet, but is kind of heavy for mountain hunting. All that being said, whenever I have accuracy issues, I know I can pick up my switchback and punch bullseyes all day. Let me also add that I've had great luck buying used bow setups on eBay.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I have a switchback LD and I have often thought about upgrading to all the new marketing but bottom line is my switchback kills pretty well and like crimson said, groups well, so if it ain't broke why fix it. And every few years they change the marketing from faster is better to slower is better and then back again. If you have a nice setup that works for you then stick with it. Sorry I really didn't answer your question CoHiCntry, but I do like Mathews over Hoyt. Have had both.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
That's my thoughts exactly with my Q2, now I know it's an old bow but it still shoots great! Change isn't good most of the time like my bait casting rod to a fly rod? Matt your thoughts? Lol

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Each tool has it's place. Bait caster on the Madison...wrong tool wrong place. Bait caster on Lake Fork, TX right tool right place. So that being said, I will see you Wednesday in MT minus your bait caster. Right? Just kidding I know you got to shoot a big bull first, so maybe the following week.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Maybe so, actually I drive right by Wolf Creek and never knew it. It's just outside of Helena. I use barbless hooks, easier to release fish!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have an LX and a Helim.

Both decent bow. My next will be a 0 cam...I shot one... its sweeeeet

sra61

Apr 21, 2015
Kalispell, MT
All that being said, whenever I have accuracy issues, I know I can pick up my switchback and punch bullseyes all day. Let me also add that I've had great luck buying used bow setups on eBay.
I agree completely. I had custom recurves built for me and my brother years ago by Bighorn, and they are a work of art! We loved them, but as time went on we got to where we could spend less and less time shooting as much as we needed to stay proficient, so we decided to turn back to "The Dark Side", and check out the newer compounds. At the time Matthews was well established and had just come out with the Reezen I think. We started researching and looking at reviews, and decided a used Switchback, or Drenalin bought off of Ebay for less than half what a new and improved high dollar bow would cost would probably work. The last compound bow I had was an overdraw with double cams that was so radical I couldn't shoot it accurately at all, so to say the Mathews bows were an eye opener would be an understatement! I bought a Drenalin and my brother bought a Switchback and we friggin love them! They are so much more accurate than what we had previously it was like night and day. Unfortunately the nature of our business prevents us from being able to chase elk in September, but that won't last forever, and when we do get to go I will never have a second thought about packing my old Mathews Drenalin!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have two Z7s and love the bows. A little heavy but so darn accurate I wouldn't part with them. Mark

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I don't change bows very often. I shot my high country sniper for 19 years prior to buying my Z7. Plan on keeping the Z7 for a long time.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Switchback XT for me. Love to shoot that thing. Got it for $450 about 3 years old and only a handful of shots shot from it. My father shoots a Drenalin.

ILbowhunter17

Dec 23, 2012
I love my Xpedition Xcentric!!! One of the best bows that I have ever purchased! I have shot Mathews hoyt and Bowtech! Loved my Destroyer and my Mathews Outback was a Killing machine!

win264

Feb 17, 2014
I own a Helim and decided I needed a backup bow, I found a new Z7 Magnum for sale and purchased it, now I have a hard time deciding which bow I want to shoot!! The Z7 platform was Mathews best selling bows. I also purchased a Creed XS for son and he really likes it.
I have shot the 0 cam at the range but I don't feel that it out performed what I have by enough or at all to replace my Helim or Z7 they are all excellent bows IMO

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have an LX and then picked up a heli m....

Nice fast bow but very loud no matter what I did to try to quiet it....

Im going to be looking hard at ALL bows before my next purchase. Im going to sell both of my matthews and get something but I dont know what yet.

Looking hard at the no cam matthews and shot one at a show. Thats a nice bow.