Any chance of this guy going B&C

MrWoodcock

Feb 21, 2011
Austin, TX
My dad shot this deer in the early 90's, but never had him officially measured. We tried to have the local B&C guy out to measure him, but didn't want to come unless we were sure he was going to make the book. Anyone out there have a pretty good guess? spread is 26 5/8

Attachments

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I'm gonna say not quite. He looks like high 170's to me. Interested what others think too.

If it's slow here you might get more attention if you put this in the mule deer forum.

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
I agree with BigSurArcher on this one. Since he wouldn't make non-typical those points on his right antler would all be several inches of deductions. He has decent tine length but I do not think that he has what it will take to get him into the books.

Regardless, great deer! He is definitely one to be proud of.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Yep,

It's hard to tell from the pics, but high 170s gross is what it looks like. If the mainbeams are long enough, might hit 180 gross, but I think it won't net in the Awards or the All-Time Book. Go to the B&C website and fill in the measurements. If you haven't done it before, the instructions are there, and it should get you in the ballpark. Here is the link:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/bc_scoring_typmuledeer.asp?area=bgrecords&type=Typical+Mule+Deer+%26+Blacktail

Certainly a nice deer.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
These guys are right on. Not nearly enough trash to make book as a non-typical, so you would only get credit for the main frame. I believe these guys are right on, and it would likely net in the 170s. Scored as a typical, this buck would have to net 190 points to make B&C all time and net 180 points to make the awards.

BB is right on, try to score the buck yourself, it's really quite easy and you should get pretty close on the score.

One other option, in the winter outdoor/hunting exhibitions here in the NW, there is often a booth that will score your bucks and bulls. Maybe that is available there there you live.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
Nice buck, I always score my own using the B & C website that Bitteroot attached, if my measurements add up to being over book then I would get an official score, but otherwise don't bother. Its just nice to know for yourself how good he will score, I measure everything I kill just because I like to know and for the deer around here it helps me see where the herd is going.