Antelope success thread

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV

I had a horns shorter than ears hunt here in NV. Was looking for a doe but after a 3 mile hike where I couldn't get on one, this young buck offered a perfect broadside shot from the road at 225 yards. Fun hunt and thanks to my buddy Joe for the company.

Oregonmuley

Jan 17, 2019
Jennings Lodge, Oregon
Just got back yesterday from my annual trek to the wonderful state of Wyoming. Had a great week, weather was almost too nice but I'll take it.
Got this guy the first afternoon, always wanted one that had horns that sort of tilted out towards the front so this guy did.
Also filled a couple doe tags 2 days later in another unit. Got one down and was pulling it out on the cart and another stepped out so bam hunt over:)

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I was finally able to post a photo (on the WY thread) by cropping and degrading my picture. If this doe posts, then I can finally do an update on the elk success thread. Still a couple years before I can get a buck tag in this unit. Here's a doe I shot at 420 yards. I usually get a lot closer, but it was tough this year.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I have a random question for everyone on this thread (nice bucks, btw): does anyone hunt doe antelope in WY? I usually do each year and the seasons get more and more frustrating. A lot of the units have stipulations that the does can only be harvested within 1/2 mile of irrigated land, I'm assuming to appease farmers and act as a depredation hunt. However, antelope routinely go much further off the fields than this each day and you can usually watch the same herd move to/from the fields but can't always get a shot in that magical 1/2 mile mark.

I can't help but feel like I'm simply making a donation the G&F rather than having a legit chance to harvest does like I used to. Doe antelope hunting is something I've done with my kids for years and it is a fun way to get them out in the field without too many physical limitations on the hunter.

Anyone else experience this and what is your take on it? Quite frankly it torques me off, but maybe I'm just too cantankerous!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We hunted the same unit last year that we hunted this year. 3 of us had 2 doe tags each. So the answer is yes. I really like to hunt the same unit I want to draw a buck tag in, as this provides a great opportunity to scout the area while you are hunting does.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have a random question for everyone on this thread (nice bucks, btw): does anyone hunt doe antelope in WY? I usually do each year and the seasons get more and more frustrating. A lot of the units have stipulations that the does can only be harvested within 1/2 mile of irrigated land, I'm assuming to appease farmers and act as a depredation hunt. However, antelope routinely go much further off the fields than this each day and you can usually watch the same herd move to/from the fields but can't always get a shot in that magical 1/2 mile mark.

I can't help but feel like I'm simply making a donation the G&F rather than having a legit chance to harvest does like I used to. Doe antelope hunting is something I've done with my kids for years and it is a fun way to get them out in the field without too many physical limitations on the hunter.

Anyone else experience this and what is your take on it? Quite frankly it torques me off, but maybe I'm just too cantankerous!
You need to apply for a "Type 6" tag instead of a "Type 7" tag. Look through the hunting regulations book, and you will see that most of the units that have a "Type 7" also have a "Type 6". If not, you may want look at hunting a different unit.