Antelope movement after dark

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
How active are antelope after it gets dark? How far might they travel in a typical night? My hypothetical situation is finding a good buck late in the day when there is not enough daylight left to do a stalk. If I "put him to bed" is he likely to be in the same spot when daylight breaks the next morning?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
My experience is it would depend on if he was rutting or not.

If not then yes he will be in the general area. If he is then he could be anywhere within miles if where you pu him to bed or he could be in the same bed as long s the does haven’t left.

Reactions: Johnbud

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
He is almost guaranteed to be in the area in the morning. A few variables exist such as weather events and migration, but aside from that, antelope bucks rarely go far from their home territory in that short time frame.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My first time hunting antelope many, many years ago, I put a small bunch of them to bed one evening, deciding to go back at first light the next morning. I got to the area while it was still dark and started walking to where I last saw them bedded down. Still dark and I walked right into them bedded where they were . Needless to say,,,,chaos!

My experience is they are just the opposite of deer, feed all day & sleep/bed down at night!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
They do get up at night and move sometimes and are thought to have good night time vision. Any of you that have driven dark Wyoming highways should attest, they like highways for whatever reason. That said, I have generally been able to locate antelope I put to bed within a mile of where I saw them last.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
It's been my experience that they don't move at night much. Nothing like deer or elk. They are typically about where you left them in the morning.