Antelope Junkies

mconway951

Jan 25, 2012
Hey guys i just finished my app for WY fingers crossed but should be a done deal. I am gonna be headed to NM on a landowner tag this fall then to WY in late Sept and early Oct and possibly hit up MT but thinking of a mule deer hunt in MT instead. I have shot a couple of smaller bucks never shot a big one but i have the bug and love chasing these things and hope to drop a whopper this year.
So where are you guys heading this year?
How bout some pics to tied us all over for a while, these are my two bucks i have taken

Attachments

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I hunt 'em with the kids. Prolly do the same this year. I don't get too serious about trophy quality with speed goats, but I've killed a pile of them.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I love antelope hunting. Here in nv, you have to wait five years before applying again. I have killed 3 and build points in 7 states! It is a blast chasing the pronghorn and more social than a deer hunt.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yeah it's a hoot, especially when you see literally 100's of them every day. We should draw our buck tags and then get 2 extra does apiece. Get to hunt with on of my boyhood pals from California this year!

Wyohunter

Mar 6, 2012
In the past I was not too big into antelope. More recently I have become more fond of hunting them, my father and I have been inching our way closer and closer to BC book. Maybe this is the year.

Whisky

Dec 7, 2011
North Dakota
I've got the itch for a good antelope hunt. My first year hunting them here in ND I screwed up bad on a great opportunity. The very next year they cancelled the season here, and it will likely remain cancelled for some time. I'm likely heading to Wyo for redemption this year. Can't wait.

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
This year is setting up to be a good season for me. I'm a lock to draw a good mule dear tag in Oregon. I'm a long shot to draw a antelope tag and elk tag in oregon. Witch means general season for elk. I have finally opened my eyes to Wyoming antelope oppurtunities. I'm going to by a Wyoming Antelope point and give it a shot in 2013. Thanks for all the posts. I'm gaining some knowledge from this forum.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I just finished up my Wy app also. Says 100% with the 4 points I have. Hope to draw 67. Took a dink in Nv 5 years ago with a bow and will only take a wall hanger for now on. Si I hope Wy will produce it for me this year. I also can start applying for Nv bucks again this year.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
They are confounding me with archery tackle. Been on 2 hunts both spot and stalk, released one arrow, went just under his brisket. I'm going to put an arrow through one of those some day, and its not going to be by sweating my balls off in some pop up tent for a week.

The difference between a 80 and 83 inch goat is really hard to field judge! Shot a couple I thought were all time book, every one of em only went 3 year. :(

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Thanks guys! We didn't hesitate when we spotted that buck. One look from each of us and he was in trouble. We probably saw a bigger one after we were tagged out but not a cooler looking buck. To me that is the most important element with Pronghorn.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
love antelope hunting!

thought I took 2 awesome ones last fall, both went 75-80", then saw some world class pics of 90"+ bruisers! which totally makes me want to chase some monsters.

Probably won't hunt antelope or WY-antelope this year, maybe in a year or two, but with other states, I'm not sure when I'll be back to wy chasing antelope, but I do love it, and my next goal is certainly a booner/85" would be awesome. So I may have ot wait for an awesome unit, or just really hunt hard!

Maybe one of these years I'll get lucky in NM, although if you not only do you have to be lucky drawing the tag, getting lucky and put on the right ranch, etc... is part of it too.

Now that I have a great representative of the species though I'm focused on other species, hopefully an elk with the bow this year, and a mule deer next year.

You can definitely hunt antelope every year and have a good time!

If/when I move west taking more than 1 trip west per year will become a reality.

Not to mention antelope could be the most beautiful animal in NA, although they're all awesome in their own way, but for pure beauty, hard to beat an antelope IMO.

Last edited:

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots
2011 elk pics 320.jpgView attachment 2974I have killed a pile of goats in Montana. Put in for wyoming this year. But my best hunt was getting my wife her first antelope last year in 2011. Not a monster but a great stalk, and she put him down with one shot a 410 yards. Was a non-hunter when we got married but I cant keep her away from it now. Antelope is a great family hunt.

Last edited:

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Thanks guys! We didn't hesitate when we spotted that buck. One look from each of us and he was in trouble. We probably saw a bigger one after we were tagged out but not a cooler looking buck. To me that is the most important element with Pronghorn.
Joe... Those are some top notch pics... Great job. Good looking goats too. Congrats!!

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
After reading mike's book on antelope, I burned my three WY points and shot my best antelope. I had a great hunt and passing on bucks that I would have shot 5 years ago, wasn't as hard as I thought.
I broke down and went in the special draw with no points. I didn't want to wait another three years to draw a good area. If all else fails, I'll buy some doe tags and check out a new area and do some fly fishing around Cody and the park.
It sure beats waiting for the WA draw only to get another rejection notice.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
Joe... Those are some top notch pics... Great job. Good looking goats too. Congrats!!
Thanks! I have to give Mike Eastman some credit as I read and re-read his book and watched the DVD numerous times before we headed out. We had killed a few here in Oregon but most of what we know about Pronghorn hunting and the importance of good field photos was learned in that book. Luckily my son is studying Electronic Journalism and has the photography stuff dialed in.:)