Another backpack food list

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Think I'm getting pretty close to finalizing my pack list and here is what I have for food. Hoping you guys would look it over and give me your thoughts. Thanks for any input!

15.55oz. 2,350cal. per day

Breakfast
-Honey Stinger waffle 1oz. 160cal.
-Wilderness Athlete strawberry meal replacement shake (mix) 1oz. 230cal.

Mid morning snack
-Honey Stinger energy bar 1.75oz. 190cal.

Lunch
-Peanut butter/Honey Burrito 4oz.
660cal.

Afternoon snack
-Trail mix 1oz. 140cal.

Dinner
-Mountain House 4.8oz. 650cal.
-2 Tbsp Olive Oil 1oz. 240cal.

Drink mix
-Wilderness Athlete hydrate and recoveryX2 1oz. 80cal.

River Rat

Aug 25, 2011
Looking good. It might get a little old eating the same things after 4or5 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
One of the best things about hunting with a partner, is he brings different things to eat and then when we get tired, we share. One of my friends loves to cook on his stove, so he'll bring eggs, pre cooked bacon, cheese, etc. One day last fall, he made us some awesome breakfast burritos - it was a great treat after me eating my breakfast bars or oatmeal or cereal each morning. We do hunt with Llamas so can pack in some nice items for food. I love the Mtn. House meals for dinner, they put me right to sleep.

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Yea, I was thinking about throwing in a Mountain House breakfast to add a little change to the mornings. I will also have different Mountains Houses for dinner so that will break that up. Of course the weight and calorie intake will vary slightly from the one I used above. I think my hunting partner is packing some jerky for his snack so I may see if he wants to swap a couple days.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
Try the Mtn. house Biscuits and gravy - you can split one into two meals and it is a great way to start the day.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Sams Club has bags of dried crumbed bacon. Take a sandwich bag along of that an you can trough some in your burrito, take a single pack of instant potatoes and add bacon and oil to that also. I do agree you might want to through in a special meal or snack to break it up.

Good luck!

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
I'm far from a backcountry expert, but I do like to calculate the crap out of things...

You drink coffee? And if so, like it sweet? Real sugar will get you 111 kCal per oz. Also, I myself like a hot beverage before bedtime if it's going to be a cold night. The envelopes of hot cocoa will get you ~100 kCal per oz, and that includes the fuel you have to burn to boil the water if you're using a gas stove.

And wow, I'm really liking that Honey Stinger waffle at 160 kCal/oz...even higher than trail mix. And great call on the shake mix! After looking at your list I'll definitely be tweaking mine.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Check out bulk food stores. I buy a couple different fruit and nut mixes that are really good calorie/oz. I buy bags and put 1/4 to 1/3 cup servings in ziplock bags. I pair these a Probar or a stinger waffle, and it is just right for a meal.

Hoytfanatic

May 16, 2015
Midwest
Check out bulk food stores. I buy a couple different fruit and nut mixes that are really good calorie/oz. I buy bags and put 1/4 to 1/3 cup servings in ziplock bags. I pair these a Probar or a stinger waffle, and it is just right for a meal.
I like to do the same, however I mix jerky in with my individual packets, this seems to knock the edge off when not eating a lot if meat, but you'll have to individualize servings otherwise grabby fingers eat all the jerky first and then your back to square one. One time I mixed those cranraisins, that was bad all of my dehydrated stuff stole moisture from them and everything was super sticky.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
A hot chocolate with a individual pack of instant coffee is hard to beat anytime of the day in the mountains.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I use 2 packs of Carnation Instant Breakfast (260 calories total) and three of packets of instant coffee mixed together and a Probar (370 calories) for breakfast.

It's like a Mocha-Choco-Latte.

I like the Taster's Choice, you can pick up boxes of the individual packs at places like Smart and Final.

Instant spiced cider (hot) w/ a touch of something nice :) after dinner - 160+ calories, depending on what and how much you put in...

Starbucks Refresher (Lime for me) and orange or blue Gatorade (individual packs) for breaks and lunch - 180 calories- Yummy!

NHK9

Jul 8, 2015
Gilmanton I.W., NH
When we pack here I eat like a starved horse! I like to carry a stick of pepperoni or summer sausage and a loaf of bread from the bakery. Also just a thought, I would add some chocolate or candy to the mix. Short in the energy dept but great for morale if needed. I'm not much of a calorie counter when we climb your body seems to always want more. Good luck

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Have you eaten the honey stinger waffles before? I thought they were really bland, and didn't seem to provide much bang for the buck.. For about the same weight, and a few more calories, I've been eating a pouch of Emeral nuts, breakfast on the go:
http://www.emeraldnuts.com/product/berry-blend/
Add in a granola bar for days that I'm a little more hungry in the morning, and I'm good to go.

Emerald makes a mixed nut package that's good as well. I found that I really liked the convenience of single serve items like breakfast bars, mixed nuts, etc.. for my longer trips. It really helps me stay organized.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
I always have a couple cliff bars in my pack, they are a meal when eaten and with about 20 oz of water you can feel it fill you up. Good carbs and decent taste.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I use 2 packs of Carnation Instant Breakfast (260 calories total) and three of packets of instant coffee mixed together and a Probar (370 calories) for breakfast.

It's like a Mocha-Choco-Latte.

I like the Taster's Choice, you can pick up boxes of the individual packs at places like Smart and Final.

Instant spiced cider (hot) w/ a touch of something nice :) after dinner - 160+ calories, depending on what and how much you put in...

Starbucks Refresher (Lime for me) and orange or blue Gatorade (individual packs) for breaks and lunch - 180 calories- Yummy!
I highly recommend DeKuyper Butterscotch Schnapps for the "something nice" in spiced cider, or Peppermint Schnapps for the same purpose in hot chocolate. I like my coffee too, but Twining's Irish Breakfast Tea is a more portable substitute. Use two bags if you like strong coffee. The used tea bags are a good folk remedy for insect bites/stings.