Another backpack food list

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Have you eaten the honey stinger waffles before? I thought they were really bland, and didn't seem to provide much bang for the buck.. For about the same weight, and a few more calories, I've been eating a pouch of Emeral nuts, breakfast on the go:
http://www.emeraldnuts.com/product/berry-blend/
Add in a granola bar for days that I'm a little more hungry in the morning, and I'm good to go.

Emerald makes a mixed nut package that's good as well. I found that I really liked the convenience of single serve items like breakfast bars, mixed nuts, etc.. for my longer trips. It really helps me stay organized.
I only tried 1 of the honey stingers the day they came in. I thought it would get the job done. I do think they will get old by day 5 or 6, but honestly I will probably be tired of everything by then. I like the looks of the emerald nuts breakfast on the go so I may try it out also. Thanks!

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I highly recommend DeKuyper Butterscotch Schnapps for the "something nice" in spiced cider, or Peppermint Schnapps for the same purpose in hot chocolate. I like my coffee too, but Twining's Irish Breakfast Tea is a more portable substitute. Use two bags if you like strong coffee. The used tea bags are a good folk remedy for insect bites/stings.
I like Patron or Cazadores Anejo, but if I get a chance, I'll try the Schnapps...I might have the try the peppermint w/ hot chocolate at home...sounds good for Christams :)

Interesting on the use for the tea bags... I only carry instant coffee, if need be, I can drink it cold, just shake it a lot.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Just an FYI for anybody doing the numbers, Caveman Bars come out to more calories and protein per gram than Pro Bars (4.25 calories/gram), but the Caveman bars do have chocolate and they'll melt if left sitting in the sun. But they're really good and at $17.96/18 at Sams Club, a good deal.

bghunter

Jun 23, 2015
Granite Bay, CA
Has anybody tried to make something like home made instant soup? I tried to cut meat, carrot, onion in small pieces, dried everything, mix with instant oatmeal(I tried buckwheat as well), add some salt and pepper, and vacuumed it in small bags. I didn't cook it, just added boiling water and waited 15-20 minutes. It tastes very good.