Angled or straight??

billdoe708

May 10, 2015
Michigan
I'm looking to pick up my first spotting scope. I'm looking at the vortex razor HD in 22-48x65. But I could be pursuaded another direction. I live in Michigan but travel to CO to hunt now and soon to be WY. I have only ever used a spotting scope at the range. With my limited use I have found straight body easier to acquire my target.

I'm looking for pros and cons to the angled and straight body spotters.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
You will get a lot less neck fatigue with the angled head. If your not backpacking with the scope a lot I'd get 80mm+ they have a lot better low lite performance.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Yes the vortex rotate as he is saying. They have a thumb screw that you can loosen and rotate the body 360 degrees

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
But to answer your question I found that I like a straight body because I can use it in my vehicle a little easier. I found angled harder to use in a vehicle for me.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I have a Vortex 11/33/50, it doesn't rotate but I use with a ballhead on my tripod. Vortex, saworoski rotate by loosening the thumb screw.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I have the 65mm vortex angled. I don’t use it from the truck. It rotates for the range or Truck. Little more work at first finding targets, but I like it. Binos do most of the work for me.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Angled all the way. With rotating tripod ring, makes it easy to use it from the truck window still.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is all in your personal preference. I am 6'4" so I prefer a angle one and hate trying to look through a straight one at a animal when someone has spotted it

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It is all in your personal preference. I am 6'4" so I prefer a angle one and hate trying to look through a straight one at a animal when someone has spotted it
I prefer the straight, and I'm 6'5, always find myself contorting weird ways when I set up an angled spotter.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I’m 6’1” and prefer my angled spotter. Tried straight ones in the past. I’m more comfortable with my angled sitting or standing, I run a Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80. As mentioned the eyepiece does rotate. It’s ok glass, not “Razor” quality but it works well.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I used a straight spotter for years but recently made the switch to angled.
The angled version seems to work much better for most hunting scenarios … just maybe not road hunting.;)

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I like straight. I use mine quite a bit from a window mount scouting whitetail around home though. Also I primarily use a spotter just for evaluating game already spotted and find the straight faster to get on an animal with. I have a Kowa 554 compact spotter. I use binos off a tripod for 90% or more of my glassing to locate game. 10x Leica rangefinding binos are enough for elk or antelope, I also take 15x Swaros for all deer species. If I pack the 15's I skip the tripod adapter for the 10's.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Higher power binos are great, but there are still plenty of times that you need a spotter.

On my coues deer hunt my partner had some 15x Swaros that we could spot deer with but to judge their headgear we had to pull out the spotter to get a good look.

Now if your binos are 40x+ then you might not need a spotter