And Another Fee Added

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With the going to a CC charge I believe that they should also offer a alternative such as paper application where we could use a check.

But then that would also cost them in extra processing time.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I don't get it. I pay with a debit card, don't use CCs. Do the banks charge them the same as CC companies do? Banks don't have to bill me for payment like a cc company does.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
CC it would be best for you to call your bank and find out just what they charge but in general any card payments weather they are credit or debit incur a usage fee charged to the merchant.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Yeah, no doubt the fee sucks. I get that it is to cover their costs, but what was that hike in license and preference point prices last year for? I bet that had to up their revenue by a good seven figures. Makes it all the more irritating when my home state can’t get its act together and start charging nonresidents more than a few dollars for our two premium tags.

I might suggest that forum members get a Citi Double Cash credit card so you can at least get 2% cash back on that purchase.

Jlrineer1

Nov 29, 2015
I just feel like they're making a lot of money off of people just applying to get a tag. I get that it's at the expense of people not actually living there, but we also pay federal dollars to help maintain all the BLM and NFS land that those states get to enjoy year round as residents. I would have no issue paying these fees if point creep didn't just keep increase every single year. It's like you're paying more money to just keep your place in line and the line rarely ever moves. Also once one state does it, it seems others follow suit. They're just getting themselves to a poing where budget hunters are going to pick opportunity states not trophy states.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I believe that the hike in tag fees was to cover what the Wyoming Legislature removed from the Game and Fish's budget.

Ace

Jan 1, 2019
No paper app. Come on WY. Stop the BS. Why don?t you just say your raising the lic 2 1/2%. Most people are smarter than that. Just like your special tags ( bribery tags )

Ace

Jan 1, 2019
Looks like a no brained. People do revolt. I wonder how much they would have lost if they dropped the costs if they would have given a lower cost on the tags

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Did a little more research on my rewards credit card. So the cash back is great and reduces the pain of that 2.5% fee, which will be nice when I burn my pronghorn points this year and buy a tag. I bought a couple $75 moose points and then came the price hike forcing me to drop out. I decided that instead, I’d put in for sheep, moose, and goat in the random draw and if I got obscenely lucky I might pull one of those in the next 30 years. Now for the disappointing part of my research: I’m going to lose those credit card rewards when I don’t pull that moose tag in the random draw and my money is refunded. So now, that 2.5% fee from WY has effectively turned my random moose app into $50+ lottery ticket. Not something I can afford.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Did a little more research on my rewards credit card. So the cash back is great and reduces the pain of that 2.5% fee, which will be nice when I burn my pronghorn points this year and buy a tag. I bought a couple $75 moose points and then came the price hike forcing me to drop out. I decided that instead, I’d put in for sheep, moose, and goat in the random draw and if I got obscenely lucky I might pull one of those in the next 30 years. Now for the disappointing part of my research: I’m going to lose those credit card rewards when I don’t pull that moose tag in the random draw and my money is refunded. So now, that 2.5% fee from WY has effectively turned my random moose app into $50+ lottery ticket. Not something I can afford.
You can't apply for moose or sheep in just the random draw, they will deduct the $150 PP fee from your refund. So it will be $15 app fee, $150 PP fee and 2.5% of the cost of the tag. About $225 for 0.4%-0.1% chance at a sheep tag. Moose can't be much better.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Thanks for the correction Alabama - wasn?t trying to put bad info out there. That was an assumption on my part as I stopped investigating once I found out about the fees as that put those tags out of reach. I?m done whining now. Good luck to all in the draws this year

Alpha Male

Feb 28, 2014
New Jersey
I thought there was a thread about this last yr-like it was coming? Or maybe it was some poll about this [emoji237][emoji90] that they sent to selected hunters?

If I use a VISA debit card will I get charged?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
anybody know the answer to this ?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On the debt card fee it is Wyoming that is charging it so expect to have to pay it no matter what you use.