Ammunition shortage

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I was at a few places over the weekend and there was a fair amount of ammo. (As usual, I didn't buy anything because I am cheap and stubborn..)

This was one of the (and I quote) "Hot selling items" What a steal....lol

I asked the guy at the counter if that price was correct and he said "Well, ya, and sir I am here to tell you thats the cheapest price in town!"

I then quickly asked him "Does every purchase of 1 box of shells came with a free gatlin gun?" (In the picture behind the .22 shells)

He said " Well, no...."

Then I literally laughed in his face and walked out of the store.

Crooks!

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I was at a few places over the weekend and there was a fair amount of ammo. (As usual, I didn't buy anything because I am cheap and stubborn..)

View attachment 34424
It's all about the marketing. The pallet ( 3 sizes bigger than it needs to be) makes it look like there use to be 1000 bricks on it. The sign " limit 1 per". Most people won't even think twice. I bought the same at a garage sell for $25.20210426_112156.jpg

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co

View attachment 34424

I asked the guy at the counter if that price was correct and he said "Well, ya, and sir I am here to tell you thats the cheapest price in town!"

I then quickly asked him "Does every purchase of 1 box of shells came with a free gatlin gun?" (In the picture behind the .22 shells)

He said " Well, no...."

Crooks!
During the last run on ammo I saw a dealer selling 22 Lr ammo for $175 for a box of 375 and he said that he was selling it at that price.

I stopped by a Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had very no reloading supplies and very little loaded ammo

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
One thing is for certain...the amount of shooting around my house has dwindled to almost nothing over the last year.
Normally I hear people out shooting and having fun every night. Seems like I haven't heard a gunshot since deer season...
People must really be hoarding or out of ammo. If it ever goes back down to normal prices I bet you it will sound like the Civil war is happening again in GA.

Glad to see guys like CC are selling stuff they dont need to people. Some guys just need a box of bullets. Others just need a box of shells for deer season. Good to see people helping people out!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I still have plenty for my own needs. I have cut back my shooting too, but because of some other problems, not supply. Found out a week ago that I have a cataract in my one good eye. Going to have it fixed asap, but can't see well enough to shoot, everything pretty fuzzy. I thought I just needed new contacts.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Cataract surgery is a piece of cake now. You'll be back to normal the next day.

I've had both eyes done, one of 12 years ago and the next one 5 years ago. It might be good to talk to the surgeon and let him know what you enjoy doing. With my first eye that I had done I have problems focusing on the front, and rear sights along with the target with rifles. Pistols are not as bad

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Cataract surgery is a piece of cake now. You'll be back to normal the next day.

I've had both eyes done, one of 12 years ago and the next one 5 years ago. It might be good to talk to the surgeon and let him know what you enjoy doing. With my first eye that I had done I have problems focusing on the front, and rear sights along with the target with rifles. Pistols are not as bad
Thanks. I'll definitely do that.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with my vision in my right eye last week, then I realized one of the lenses had popped out of my glasses again....lol

Reactions: JimP

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have had Amblyopia (Lazy Eye) in my right eye since childhood. Wore glasses for awhile as a child and after it didn't help, quit wearing them. As an oldster, my good eye aged and I had to wear them again. Started wearing contacts about 10 years ago and absolutely love them. Wear them 24/7 for about a month, them throw them away and put in new ones.

Reactions: mallardsx2

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

View attachment 34424

He said " Well, no...."

Crooks!

I've told this story a thousand times, but here it goes again.

About 20ish years ago in January or February I took a $50 gift card I got for Christmas into Gander Mountain in Eau Claire Wisconsin. They had 2 huge pallets of bricks of Remington Thunderbolts, $9.99 but one get one free. I walked out with 10 bricks after I covered the tax. And now a $50 spot will get you a couple hundred rounds at best.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I've told this story a thousand times, but here it goes again.

About 20ish years ago in January or February I took a $50 gift card I got for Christmas into Gander Mountain in Eau Claire Wisconsin. They had 2 huge pallets of bricks of Remington Thunderbolts, $9.99 but one get one free. I walked out with 10 bricks after I covered the tax. And now a $50 spot will get you a couple hundred rounds at best.
And don't forget, the manufacturer made money as well as gander....

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Its really looking like that PCP Suitcase Pump and .357 rifle may be in my future if I want to have fun in the back yard. lol

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I saw Remington ThunderDuds at the last gun show for $100 a brick. I doubt that they sold many. But some folks are paying more than that for .22 ammo if you look on ***Broker. What a rip-off.

• Wow
Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
People are having problems locating any popular ammo in stores right now.

Over the last week I was in 5 sporting goods dealers and about the only ammo that I saw was those that not very many people shoot.

If you need some you need to find out when the stores get their deliveries and then stand in line like a vulture looking at some red meat.

Sad fact is I don't seen the supply catching up until next year if even then.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Said it many times, but if people would stop buying from the scabbers, this problem would go away on its own pretty quickly.

Lot of stores I am cruising through have ammo and they have implemented a 1 box limit to try and help people out instead of fueling the scabbers fire...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am ok with stupid people paying ten times the normal price.

should have stocked up while there was plenty.