Ammunition shortage

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Thankfully I learned from the shortage a few years back and the seasonal production of certain ammunition. I have plenty of hunting ammunition in four different calibers and enough 22 cal. to last a lifetime. People I know apparently did not get the memo and now can’t find hunting ammunition. I work on, clean and sight rifles for others and have for years. I have never seen such a shortage of 308, 7RM and 300WM. I searched Midway USA for those three last night and 0 available in any configuration. I assume that the manufacturers are producing but wonder where it goes. Any suggestions? I may just have to take up reloading but wonder about components.

Reactions: SpartanArmsLLC

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The shortage started the beginning of summer when the riots started and have just carried through to now. And with Biden being elected it is just going to get worse.

I had a friend visiting from Texas over the weekend and he commented on not being able to find 41 mag rounds. I happened to have a couple hundred extra laying around that are now sitting in Texas. I just wished that I would of taken better stock of my powder supply. I have enough to last for a few years but you just never know how long the shortage will be.

Reactions: mcseal2

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I’m not predicting an end before next summer. I don’t know if prices will ever fo back to what they were last year.

memtb

I started slowly stockpiling “all things “ to needed maintain a semi-comfortable lifestyle, including my area of residency, during the Jimmy Carter years. It was a slow but steady process! I somewhat empathize with those just now realizing that “life’s path can be a bit rocky”! Living without ammunition/components will be minor to living without the many other essentials of life! Preparing for hard times, is much more than having a few rounds of ammunition! If/when we get past this, preparing for your future and that of your family, should be a be a consideration! Jus’ say’n! ;) memtb

Reactions: BKC

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Yeah, I was going to sight in my BIL new slug gun but haven't been able to find sabot slugs at all so he is going to have to still use my smooth bore 870 with rifled slugs this year.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
My take on it is that most serious guys would have ammo for their guns, the folks who would buy a box or two every year just for hunting might miss out, others shoot year round and have lots. Right now ammo and reloading components are slim pickings.

Some folks have just bought ammo - buddy asked me if I wanted to buy a couple hundred 243 yesterday - guy doesn't even own a 243. Another guy wants to trade 400 rounds .45 hardball for other ammo cause he doesn't have a .45. These folks are the root of the shortage.

Wife and I had gathered some stuff during the last administration and still have it. The stuff that seems a little light, I bought dies and lead for.

Been feeling the itch to reload brass that's laying around - easier to store it as a loaded cartridge and not as primers, powder, brass, and bullets - takes up a lot less room. Also very eager to pick up brass at the range - we've usually done that but now its a treat - picked up over 200 brass the other day and was real happy, felt like someone gave me $50 for showing up.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Any time you start wondering if you have enough ammunition, all you have to do is watch "Mad Max" again. I just made a trade of 30-06 for some 9mm with a neighbor, and now we're both happy.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If you shoot a common caliber the best option is to be well supplied way early...

The Obama gun run in 08/09 taught me that lesson very early and I won't be caught without what I needed.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Supposedly the ammo mfg. are going full bore, but none of it ever seems to appear on the shelf anywhere. I've looked on-line too, and pretty much the same situation. I don't really need to buy anything right now, but will continue to monitor the availability. Not to divert into politics, but depending on the Georgia senate runoff, it may just get much worse.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'll do my part and vote.

Hopefully the EBT crowd cant pick up mail in ballots at the liquor store like they did prior to the main election.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Supposedly the ammo mfg. are going full bore, but none of it ever seems to appear on the shelf anywhere. I've looked on-line too, and pretty much the same situation. I don't really need to buy anything right now, but will continue to monitor the availability. Not to divert into politics, but depending on the Georgia senate runoff, it may just get much worse.
My son owns his own trucking business and he hauls ammunition & components a lot. He says the mfgs are going 24/7 and still can't fill all the demand. The government agencies are buying a lot too. I guess eventually they will catch up, just don't hold your breath until they do!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
It's all FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). It's the same as toilet paper selling out at the start of the pandemic, and many stores still having 1-per-customer limits. There's no rational reason people need to buy that much ammo or toilet paper. It just makes them feel better - like they're doing something.

Hunting alone is a $12B industry. You cannot convince me "the libs are coming" to take that away, and "open your eyes" statements don't carry any weight with me. My eyes are wide open. If you look at who's behind those statements, they ALL make money off the firearms industry one way or another. There's a reason what little ammo you can get is $3/round, but it's not "thuh libs" that did it.

I'll wait this one out. I stocked up when ammo was cheap, because it was cheap. I'll wait for it to be again.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Back when California was working on passing their new laws on purchasing ammo I read a article about "gun control" The biggest thing about any restrictions on purchasing was about ammo. They said that most legislatures will shy away from trying to ban firearms due to our constitution and the Second Amendment. However there is nothing in our constitution or Second Amendment about ammunition. They looked at a big way to restrict firearms was to restrict the ammunition that was fired in them along with loading components that the home loader could access. You have to figure, if you don't have any ammo to shoot or components to load that ammo then your firearm is a paperweight or club, which ever you prefer.

memtb

I am so amazed at the naivety of some people! Perhaps a world history lesson is in order......confiscation, incredible taxation or a combination of the two is coming. It may not be on January 21st., but large incremental steps will soon thereafter begin. A few billion $ dollars of lost taxes mean nothing to those attempting to take control of this nation..... the cost of war! memtb

• Wow
Reactions: shootbrownelk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Bought a brick of .22 LR today at Walmart of all places. Anyone is around Cheyenne the Dell Range Walmart has a bunch of boxes of .222