Ammo

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Well was finally able to buy some of my 270 hunting rounds. Last box I purchased prior to last shortage was $21.00 a box. I got two boxes as I need to remove and reset my scope. I mounted a 1/4 turn by mistake. I went through way to much ammo before I figured it out. Should be able to get lined out for this year. Present cost per box was $47.50. Funny I found it a a place called cheaper than dirt. They need to change their name to pay dirt.

• Haha
Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With the shortage of ammo everywhere it is going to be expensive no matter where you purchase it and until the boxes sit on the shelves longer than a couple of days everyone is going to have to pay.

That is where I am glad that I reload. I still have enough components that I am good for a couple more years, but after that I'll have to start paying up for what I want. For my upcoming African trip I had to take stock of what I had for the rifle that I intend to take over. I have 60 rounds for the trip and around 40 or so for practice. If I need to I can use some of what I plan on taking for practice but I really don't want to. On my first trip I took 60 over and brought back 40.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This ammo shortage is going to be interesting for a while. Here is to hoping things settle down politically to stop adding fuel to the fire so to speak.

Reactions: MuleyHunter

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got a wild hair yesterday and got out our rifles and our muzzleloaders.
I kinda smiled when I got out my maxwell house coffee cans full of reloaded .303, 30-06, and 300 WSM shells.

I looked at my wife and said "Now you know why. So stop asking me going forward...."

I cant hear very well but she replied with something along the lines of "real men use an arrow"...I just pretended I didn't hear... lol

4 pounds of IMR 4064 and a few hundred bullets and a few hundred primers. I should be good to go for some time.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I just found out that Lightfield no longer manufacturers hunting ammunition. Pretty bummed right now as that is what I have been using for decades for my browning a-bolt 12 guage slug gun.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been redoing my shop some this winter. I sold some primers and powder I would never use at our local club's gun show in April. I have around 300 rounds of loaded 25-06, 150 of 30-06, 100 of .300 Wby and 400 of .220 Ackley Swift. I also have enough components to last me for quite a long time. I also am in the process of loading.38 Special ammo for my Bulls Eye Pistol season.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The whole "shortage" is a curiosity to me, but it is the 2nd one in the past decade, so read the wall. All these bullet makers are going flat-out 7 days a week and we in the US can't get ammo...even at 2-3x the original costs - but Canadians can. Screwy. Crazy difficult to get components for reloading too.

Hunting with stick & string this year cause I pulled a good permit - not cause I'm a real man. Wouldn't cry if I never hunted with a bow again.

Will use 357 Mag rifle or 350 Legend if do a rifle hunt down here. The Mag for in the cypress heads and the Legend where might get a 200 yard shot. Really like these two.

memtb

If we get through this most recent shortage, anyone “not” prepaired for the next long term shortage or worse yet - ammo banning......had better spend some money and purchase your expected lifetime needs.

It’s would have been far less expensive and less stressful had everyone been preparing for these events for many years.....or a lifetime! The “writting has been on the wall” since the 1968 Gun Control Law! Costs aside, it’s never too late......until it is! memtb

Reactions: Rich M and D_Dubya

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You don't need a lifetime supply but you need enough to see you through the problem time plus a while.

The only thing that I got caught short on this time was bullets for my .340. I hadn't planned on using it a lot and figured that 100 loaded rounds would be enough. Well, here came this African trip and while I have enough for the trip and practice it will bring me down quite a bit on supply depending on how many rounds I bring home.

I got caught back when Clinton came into office and saw the handwriting on the wall for when a liberal came into office and have been pretty prepared since. But this last rush started 18 months ago before Biden even had a chance to be elected.

In the end you just need to be prepared to weather the storm.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
^^ Thats a hard gun to find. I have been looking for one for a few years now.
Yeah. The price I've seen on gunbroker and the like has at least doubled, even tripled. And it wasn't a cheap gun when I bought it.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
if it matters, there is a shortage of anything produced. not just ammo. domestically made recliners are a year out.
a manufacturer sent out an email stating that they where quoted 60 weeks on a certain fabric from the fabric mill. ect, ect

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
New microwave we ordered took 4 1/2 months to get.
mine quit last week and I was sbke to choose from a few options at the local Lowe’s. Was surprised.
Also working out of town the last few days near Cincinnati Ohio and saw quite a bit of ammunition on the shelf at one of the local retailers. Not a whole lot that I needed but it was nice to see some things in there. A lot of 223 and 556. Still no powder and primers

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I think the ammunition companies are producing what sells. .308, 223 and 9 mm are available. They sell it as quickly as they produce it. They are making a bucket full of money. The (what they consider) seasonal run ammunition is on the back burner. I would love to locate some 165 grain Barnes Vor-Tx in 300 WM and 160 grain Barnes Vor-Tx in 7 RM. Got plenty of .308 in 168 grain and could buy all I wanted today. Looks like that is what I’m going with this year.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
That’s why I think it is good to have 4 or 5 rifles of different popular calibers as there is a chance you may find ammo for one of them

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Lots of ammo showing up locally down here, still pretty skinny on reloading components but some stuff is showing up. Once we’re through this I’ll always have at least a 5 year supply on hand for 6 or 7 rifles, 45acp and 9mm. Heck, if primers get back to “normal” price & availability I’ll probably buy a 40 year supply.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Was surprised yesterday at the store to find a decent amount of ammoncompared to the last few months even found a few bulk boxes of 22lr that weren't to bad federal 333rd box was 24.99

Reactions: Hilltop

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When I was my local gun emporium yesterday picking up my new Ruger #1 that I bought from an out of state dealer, I noticed he had lots of powder, bullets and ammo. Primers still in short supply as well as the more popular powders. Things are getting better. I watched a guy pay 40.00 for 100 rounds of .17 HMR. The last I bought was &12.00/box of 50.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I received an email from Barnes customer service today that was a reply to an email I sent in May. The sender basically said that they were running 24 hours a day Monday thru Thursday and 12 hour shifts Friday thru Sunday. Told me to check ammoseek.com as often as I could because most ammunition they were sending out sold within minutes of hitting the shelf/web.