Altitude sickness

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
In anticipation of a fall elk hunt I have been looking into a prescription of Diamox for altitude sickness. The more I read about the possible side effects the more I am questioning my decision. If anyone has used Diamox I would be curious if you had any side effects.
Thanks for your help and happy trails.
Gman

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Have you had altitude related issues before? If not, I think you can beat a lot of it by acclimating slowly, and staying well hydrated

Reactions: gman1

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with drugs is that they affect different people different ways.

I took one for a while and had all the after effects but it didn't cure me and my Dr switched to a different drug.

I agree with Fink, acclimate yourself to the altitude. This can be done by just taking it easy on first couple of days and drinking lots of water. If you are planning on packing into a camp then you need to stay at the lower altitude for at least a day before you hump it into your final camp.

I'm glad that you are looking at it now. Altitude sickness is no joke.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Never tried Diamox, but I spend 49 weeks/year at home less than 1000’ above sea level and often very hot and humid. I Spend 2-3 weeks/year between 9000’ and 12,000’ in CO for the last 15 years. If I can stay hydrated I do very well hiking/hunting/biking for a chubby 41 year old. If I can get two days to acclimate and hydrate I do great. I’ve never understood how I can work outside at home all day everyday in 100 degrees plus and be fine, but two days at 11k and 65 degrees I can become dehydrated and miserable if I’m not diligent about hydration. Would be interested to hear how Diamox works for you if you go that route.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the body tissue and carbon dioxide discard away from the tissue and back to the lungs. Hemoglobin (Hgb) is the key protein in the cells that transports oxygen from the lungs. When you go to higher altitude your blood changes and makes more red blood cells to " increase traffic" on the highway and carry more per say.

Key factors in not getting altitude sickness are:
1) Stepping up to altitude so the blood changes naturally. Ex...I take my Dad from 300' to 8000' day one. Spend 24 hours there then 8000'to 10000' day 2. That alone makes a big difference.......more days even better.
2) Start eating differently 14 days out from the hunt. Beef, Organs kidney and liver, spinach, kale, prunes, raisins, legumes and egg yolks will increase overall red blood cell count.
3) Hydrate. With relatively no humidity in Colorado it sucks the moisture out at a higher rate. Drink before going to bed. Drink one of the many cardio enhancing products out there. Enduro by Mountain Ops is what I have in camp.

I am not a Doctor, Nutritionist nor do I have a sponsorship from MTN OPS.........but I do take a lot of dudes up hi from sea level and thats what has worked in my camps.

All the best, tag results should be out soon.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
good luck on your hunt.

I would offer advice if I had any. I live around 4000 and seldom hunt higher then about 8000. peaks around here are generally around 9000ish, so alt sickness has never really been an issue for me.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have taken Diamox (or the generic) with the only stated side effect of "frequent urination". Since I do that anyway, I guess that wasn't much to deal with. That said, I found out in numerous trips after that I didn't really need it. It is hard to predict who will have problems and who won't, but the suggestions made above are spot on. We always spend the night at the nearest town, at 6000'-7500'. Lay off the booze, etc.
Have your water bottle or bladder handy so it is convenient to drink often, rather that stopping to dig it out of your pack when you get thirsty.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I've had problems at altitude.... have hiked tall mountains of Colorado... and on higher altitude hunts...

I know they say athletic fitness doesn't affect altitude sickness....but...
after a couple years of running.... and racing 5k's etc... regularly running.training, long easy cardio... I had the easiest time I ever had at altitude...

one of the best ways to improve your aerobic system....is to train at 180 - Age = heart rate zone...., ex. if you're 50, You'd try to run/jog, walk fast at near 130 beats per minute.

also I've ready that your 3rd day at altitude is when the body is functioning the worst.... after that your body slowly improves....but that may take a month or 2 to get back to where you were at sea level etc....

I'd recommend Advil....
and working within your abilities....

as for fitness not helping prevent altitude sickness....
my theory is simply the fitter you are, the easier your body is working at altitude.... vs redlining....
good luck.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
I started taking diamox last year before an archery elk hunt. Started is a few days before the hunt as you were supposed to. My stomach did not tolerate it well and constant dry mouth and drowiness. I stopped it 2 days before my trip and managed fine without it.